Camera monitoring inside the house

feature

You try finding a cheapish, 2 or 3 Mpix IP camera with a sensible field of view (ie not more than about 70 deg) that can FTP upload a configurable but static filename still image on a regular basis say every 15 minutes.

Not many can these days, they are all geared towards remote monitoring on an iThingy or only doing things on an "alarm" trigger, like motion detect.

The HIK Vision only fails on the static filename(*). The Vivotek IP8131 ought to pass but seems to be made of unobtainium, it's also only 1 Mpixel.

(*) A thought has just struck me I wonder if the HIK Vision camera has any command line SQL tools that could be used to change the db entries. It has SSH access...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Wouldn't worry about that - the Police's first problem is to find the scrote. Any picture that has some clarity to aid identification will do.

After that, I expect they will be able to pin things on him by other means - DNA forensics for one (which is fine if you have the scrote to match your DNA or fingerprints against, but hopeless if not, unless somehow he is already on a database).

Ow...

I though Axis were pricey!

Reply to
Tim Watts

upgrades

The EU HIK Vision portal:

They'd trash the camera, unless you add a remote speaker the "voice of god" will come from the camera giving away it's location. Could have a second better disguised camera of course.

And the image quality PDG at least when new. The Hik Vision here has replaced a > 10 year old Axis 2110 that has a well worn out sensor. Better than a Raspbery Pi camera module. Bit of grey day today:

On a less murky day you can see the sheep in the fields the other side of the valley on the Pi cam. Looks at HIK Vision, hum the very gently graduated grey sky is banded and a bit blocky, over doing the compression. 67 k byte file for a 1920x1080 3 bytes/pixel image (nominal 6 M bytes).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah, wouldn't be hard to have a dummy designed to be the target and make the real camera completely invisible.

I don't really care much about the scenic stuff, I only want to have some decent footage of what some scrote is getting up to so its easy for someone who knows them to identify them and for me to see who it is so that I can recognise them if they show up again.

The main downside with with the Pi approach is rather more work to get the alarms on a movement in part of the field of view etc.

PIR would in theory be fine and easy to do with a Pi camera but I'd prefer the alarm to work with the camera inside the house where its less vulnerable to vandalising tho there is no reason why you couldn't have just the PIR sensor outside I spose.

Reply to
ratsack

I don't believe that there are any rules like that and I don't really care as much about evidence in court as evidence that allows the cops to find the scrote and belt the shit out of him until he puts his hands up.

Reply to
ratsack

There are, and defence advocates will use their best efforts to get evidence declared as inadmissible or unreliable.

They don't do that any more if they want to keep their pensions.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I don't believe that.

Don't believe that either.

Reply to
ratsack

It's of more value in the winter to see how full of snow the space between the walls is and if the snow plough or snow blower has been through.

In a "bad" winter like 9/10 or 10/11 the walls disappear, they are about 5' high.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Don't have that problem myself. There is just one snow event in the met records that go back for more than 100 years and that didn't produce any snow on the ground.

A scenic view would have been useful in the last big storm which brought down a decent sized tree in the small park/walkway next to the house, but I don't really care if the image has a few bands on it with something like that when just watching what actually happened to the tree as it fell etc.

Reply to
ratsack

That was pretty much what I had in mind - an event-triggered setup that sends the image to an i-thing. I thought they were pretty widespread until I started looking and it ould just be a matter of finding one with the right features. I certainly wasn't thinking of writing code or buying a windows computer just to set it up.

Ah well.

Reply to
GMM

trigger,

Nearly all will do that, based on software movement detection, though PIR detection seems to be getting quite common. What most cameras lack is the upload trigger being based on a regular time interval.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice