calculate tonnage

anyone point me to a conversion tool online or can work out what I need?

Driveway dug out, the scalpings will need to fill an area 6 mtrs x 2 mtrs x

25cm deep (3 cubic mtrs)

Jewson talk in tonnes/tones/tonnees? so I have no idea what to order except I'm getting it loose as its cheaper and am having to pay for "air"

any help appreciated ta

Reply to
Vass

As far as i can remember air ways nothing so the price is the same if sold by the ton.

Parts

Reply to
christopher

well you'd think :-) but if the lorry has space, it costs them so you have to make it worth their while by paying for 'air space'

Reply to
Vass

For limestone scalpings I would allow 2.0 t/m3 (tonnes per cubic metre). A tonne is 1000 kg.

If you control its moisture content to the absolute optimum for best compaction and compact it with a heavy vibrating roller you might just achieve 2.1 t/m3, but no more.

All depends on how accurate your measurements are. For example, is your 25 cm thickness an average or a minimum? If the latter, you will have to make a judgment on the additional amount of material needed.

Reply to
Bruce

Anything here that helps?

Corporal Jones

Rick Hughes

Usually you will pay a flat rate delivery regardless whether you buy a one ton of sand or ten tons of sand.

How did you get on digging that out? Last week you were talking about hiring a digger, but 3cu sounds like 2 x men in one day.

Lay a heavy duty permeable woven membrane down over the bare soil - lots on ebay. That will keep the area stable when you compact the base layer and stop the stones sinking into the soil. To really compact it, a single drum vibrating roller will be much better than a lightweight whacker plate. Annoys the hell out of the neighbours, just don't let it roll over anyones foot!

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

scalpings? as in old tarmac planed off roads? Jewsons??

or limestone/ etc a la "MOT type 1"

Jewsons? Is there no-one else who can quote you?

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

yeh, type 1, all sorted, i went for extra as it worked out cheaper, I can use the extra elsewhere ta

Reply to
Vass

ah, good point ta! all dug out, nothing in there yet, just sorting the edges at the moment. Thanks for the tip on the membrane

Reply to
Vass

oh, and I filled a 6cu skip and then some...

Reply to
Vass