CAD

QCAD is rather nice - a bit like AutoCAD or AutoSKETCH in use. There is a free ("community" - i.e. older!) version for linux and current demo versions for Linux, Windows & Mac. A smidgen over 20 quid for the full "Pro" version.

Reply to
mick

You can export a 2D image though, and if you click on the options button on the file save dialog you can specify the resolution. That combined with the parallel projection option and the elevation orientation buttons makes getting flat projection drawings quite easy.

While messing about with bitmaps is not as nice, you can get enough resolution for most applications.

Reply to
John Rumm

OpenOffice's Draw program is supposed to be a Visio-alike (not sure if it's a full visio clone). And of course it's free as in beer as well as free as in speech.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I'm now using microsoft paint, and gimp (and lego building blocks) to model my house, Eventually I will use Blender which is more powerful than Google Sketchup and probably harder to learn...

The lego was a recent idea: I now understand the roof ridges and valleys far more, and today I built an extension!

OG wrote:

Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

Oh dear, I do hope you put the foundation in the right place!

Reply to
OG

You really need to find a middle-aged child (like me) who still has a Bayko set. Much more realistic than Lego.

Reply to
Reentrant

But generally limited to 1930's suburban designs (nothing wrong with that per se, my previous house was a Bayko look-a-like).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Assuming you happen to live in a 1930s semi, with bay windows :-)

Reply to
Graeme

QCAD which runs fines on Unbuntu/Fedora/Suse etc. Might even work on Windoze. Free of course, works nicely, not too complex or too simple.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

What about Google Sketchup?

Huge