cables through 10cm joists

How can i put electric cables through my 10cm joists, IEE onsite guide 7.3.1 says holes should be 5cm from top or bottom, as appropriate, I was going to have floorboards on top and plasterboard underneath.

maybe I must put battens underneath the joists. Could I then run the cables along the battens, clipped or on top of the plasterboard, or must i still drill through the joists?

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

You can buy nail-plates for where the cable passes through the joists, TLC do them. I used an offcut of T304 flat 3mm bar screwed to a small rebate in the joist because I did not feel like whacking the plate re ornamental plaster fixture ceiling below.

Since they are only 4" joists I would keep the holes "small & spaced". Generally 50mm is from finished surface, so you can take it from the floorboard finished height. The IEE & OSG have I think "wandered" on that point over the years.

Reply to
js.b1

Or simply drill a hole through the neutral axis as it should be done chris

Reply to
chris

10cm bits of wood? With floorboards on? And ceiling plasterboard underneath?

Is that going to work with regards to floor loadings, span, and flex? Will the ceiling not crack etc due to flexing?

I don't know the answer myself, but those don't sound like proper floor joists.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

These are under the corridor which is not very wide so I think they're safe. The lime plaster lasted a long time before it collapsed after a frozen pipe thawed.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

2x4 support plenty over short spans. There are still lots of 3" floor joists in service too.

Just drill it in the centre where it wont affect the joist's strength.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

and its possible they're oak. [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

how wide offcuts of 3mm T304 (or is T304 the name of a width? [g[

ps I googled T304 flat 3mm bar and your post of a few mi8nutes ago came up as number 2!

Google is watching us!

  1. Search Results

  1. About 7,460 results (0.68 seconds)

    cables through 10cm joists - uk.d-i-y | Google Groups

27 Sep 2010 ... I used an offcut of T304 flat 3mm bar screwed to a small rebate in the joist because I did not feel like whacking the plate re ... groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse.../192fb2df25ea615d?... Get more results from the past 24 hours # Stainless Steel Tube | Mirror Polish | Brushed Finish 306mm OD x 3mm Stainless Steel Tube. Imperial Stainless Steel Tube. Generally in 6.000 Metre lengths and commonly in Grades T/304, T/310, T/ 316 & Grade ...
- Cached - Similar
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

I thought if you use RCD protection, you no longer need to have holes more than 5cm from a surface?

Reply to
Fredxx

I think you're probably right that if the wires come after a 30ma RCD then they dont need to be 5cm away from the two surfaces. But having seen the notches in the bending joists in the house in Fareham on TV's Help! My House Is Falling Down,

dont want to cut any more holes or notches. I may reinforce them, and/or put steel plates over them as suggested here, thanks.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]