Cable OK flying between rafters?

Is it OK for an electric cable to pass through the air between rafters in a gap where people couldnt get and clipped at each end so it couldnt get pulled out of the elec fittings? photo at

George Miles

or need i put a batten there?

Reply to
George Miles

I think it'd be fine just clipped to the rafters, but perhaps someone who actually knows the regs will come by and let you know more reliably soon.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

no problem at all

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I do know one thing thanks to the law of Mr Sod, if you do not allow a bit of extra on a run, something will come along and mean the whole run will need to be done again when the thing is just a little too short when an end breaks off or needs to be moved.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
George Miles

Clipped is nicest - but in reality (and I'm sure Adam will have something say) it's usually just dropped on the ceiling or draped over -

400mm ish spacings will not hurt the cable, though it's not the nicest.

(OP) If the rafters are devoid of ceiling below (totally open) you could push some trunking over the rafters and sling the cable in that, or if you're actually wiring it, push it through some conduit and just clip the conduit at each end - that will be a first class way to do the job.

Me: I have screwed a bit of 2x1" across the top and sat/clipped the cable to that.

Reply to
Tim Watts

whole run

You "lose" it along the run, any changes in direction are lazy and go wider than they need to but still remain neat. You have a generous 6" of striped cable(*) in the box behind any accessory, you have used 35 mm deep boxes haven't you?

(*) Well for sizes up to 4 mm^2.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup, that's fine. Its out of harms way, and supported at regular intervals.

Reply to
John Rumm