Bye bye 60W

Same here, roughly. Except for one in each oven. And the in microwave (though that stopped working years ago, so it doesn't really count). And the tumble drier. Damn, the fridge as well. And quite a few in the cars.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Got 100 x 60W and 100 x 100W

should be enough for a couple of years

Reply to
geoff

Pretty well what I have

Reply to
Bob Eager

As long as that? You are Mr Bean and ICMFP. On the episode we saw tonight, he shoots the lightbulb out rather than turning it off. His bedside cabinet was shown stuffed with ... 60W incandescents!

Reply to
Tim Streater

What's wrong with an oil lamp? To hell with technology.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

inaccurate, sloppy sensationalism, it's worth of the Daily Mail.

[I'm neither for nor against "green" bulbs, though I do prefer tungstens.]

John

Reply to
Another John

I have some in PIR-operated outside lights. Not sure when technology will come up with an affordable low-energy replacement which gets to full brightness straight away. The annual time on is so low that I would probably never achieve payback.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I've got one using a 36watt 'rolled up' fluorescent tube. Work well where I used to use a 300w halogen.

Reply to
charles

My lamps are much smaller, not big floodlights - I'm using 60 W at the moment. My concern is that they are required to be full on as soon as they are triggered, otherwise I have passed out of the area I want illuminated.

Anyway, at the present usage rate, the bulbs displaced from elsewhere, as CFLs have been fitted, will probably suffice.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I have a PIR flood, looks like a 500W cast jobbie but with a 28W fluorescent lamp in it. It comes on quick, gets to about 80% in a second or two. More than enough to scare the intruders.

Its much whiter than the 500W halogen I have. My neighbours wanted one as they liked the white light, but lidl had sold out and they were £25 in toolstation (£8 in lidl).

I have a five foot waterproof lamp in the shed I might fit that under the eaves instead of the 500W halogen when it wears out.

Reply to
dennis

Sewer gas lamps actually run on gas from the mains just like any other gas lamp, but the gas from the sewer passes through so that flammable gas (and any hydrogen sulphide) gets burnt off. You can usually tell them because the support post is larger diameter (to accommodate the tube up from the sewer) and because they're on constantly. There are a few of them in London, too, and there are also a number of ordinary gas lamps just off the Strand.

Back in the 70's I used to take the train from London Bridge to Tulse Hill and found that a number of stations in the Bermondsey area were still lit by gas. I passed through recently and found that not only the gas lamps but the whole of the station buildings had been swept away (replaced by little portakabin style shelters) :(-

Reply to
docholliday

I'd better hide my 1500W bulbs, then... (unfortunately they're bloody difficult to hide, since they're not exactly small!)

Reply to
docholliday

IIRC the Temple Bar area in London is still lit by gas

tim

Reply to
tim....

I bought one of these new type bulbs which was hopelessly slow to brighten up. So my wife's answer to this so called energy saving bulb was to leave it on all the time because it took too long to work properly. Robbie>

Reply to
Roberts

Choose better ones then. All the GE long straight ones appear to be pretty bright within about 1 sec of turning on. Not full power, but plenty bright enuff.

Meanwhile SWMBO is complaining about the GU10 replacements in the kitchen that do indeed take a while to get any brightness at all. Unfortunately the LED versions of these are still expensive.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Should the maintanance manager of your care home be making these decisions?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , Another John writes

And Jon Snow on CH4 news saying that as from tomorrow you won't be able to buy them in the shops

Reply to
geoff

I prefer tungstens, but we have changed almost all our normal BC and ES lamps to CFL. The only remaining traditional ones are in the outside PIR lights , which don't work with CFLs and I'm rather annoyed that they're discontinuing the bulbs for them, rather than continuing to sell them as special purpose bulbs.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

As someone else already said on this thread, 60W-equivalent halogens still seem to be kosher. As are 100W-equivalent.

as cheap as the vanilla types but I'd guess the running cost probably dwarfs the purchase cost over a lifetime. Discuss... :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

The obvious solution is some form of hat to which the always-on bulb is attached, such that the wearer takes their illumination with them, and a property only needs as many bulbs as there are occupants.

The downside is that people would think the wearer was getting a constant flow of good ideas.

;-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson