Butt crimps on the wiki

The wiki article on crimping says that "butt splice crimp terminals like those shown in the picture do not usually have any central stop to prevent the wire passing right through the terminal". Is this still usually the case? The ones I got from TLC a few months ago have a folded-in bit of metal halfway through.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Are butt crimps the solution to anal seepage?

The Natural Philosopher

ROTFPMSL!

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Seems to depend on the maker. These pre-insulated terminals seem to vary dramatically in quality - those from TLC being at the better end.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some do some don't - even on the ones with a stop, its not usually the full width of the hole, so you can still slip a wire past if you try.

Reply to
John Rumm

Only if using a wire much smaller than the hole - which IMHO leads to a dodgy connection. They're marginal with the correct sized cables anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

I try and overlap the wires if possible; it gives a much sounder mechanical and electrical connection.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I certainly do that with choc-bloc connectors.

Reply to
Graham.

A decent crimp crimps round the entire wire, and the only type which can really do that is the sort that shrinks the circle of the crimp by putting an indent in it. Not just flattening it as the pre-insulated ones do. But they may be better with single strand cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would say that most butt crimps have the stop and if the cable can pass this stop then the cable is to small for the crimp.

Reply to
ARW

The ones I have here are so bad that I didn't think they had stoppers at all. I used blues for the main cores on a bit of 2.5mm2 splicing and it was a pig to get the wires in the right place.

On inspection they have the merest hint of a nipple half way along that wouldn't stop anything.

Got them from CPC (you get what you pay for). Had thought I got them from Toolstation as they're not much better for selling cheap shit, 35mm electrical grommets I got there, couldn't believe how inflexible they were, virtually impossible to fit.

Reply to
fred