burying electrical connection in the wall

I am turning a door around, to hinge the other side. So I need to move the light switch to the other side and even I can do this kind of wiring task I just take the switch out, connect a wire to the existing, cut a channel in the plaster then hide it under the door architrave to bring it round to the right position. The old hole in the plaster with the join in the wire and the new wire in its channel will most likely be filled with a big dollop of stiff polyfilla. The walls are brick internal partitions.

What's the best way to join the wire? I could use choc blocks and tape but I have a feeling there might be a better 'approved' method of connecting and hiding them. I don't want access and I don't want a visible plate. I am not that fussed about regulations but might be sensible about safety.

TW

Reply to
TimW

Why bring DIY electrics into disrepute?

e.g. if you leave a blank plate where the switch currently is, the backbox can house chocblock, or wagos, or barrel crimps whatever, your can "legally" go straight up towards the safe zone at the wall/ceiling junction, round to where you want the new switch and then down.

without seeing photos of the actual location, we can't tell, but there might be alternate "legal" routes depending on location relative to corners, other switch/socket locations ...

Andy Burns

You need a "maintenance free" join then. Crimps and heatshrink would be my choice... wago also ok.

Without a visible plate just make sure you don't leave a live drop wire in the wall that will no not be indicated in any way.

Reply to
John Rumm

Nooooo! How will anyone know there is a cable in the wall leading to where the switch was? I think there are two alternatives: fit a blanking plate to show where the cable runs are, or (and the approach I would take) connect to the switch cable in the floor void and drop a cable vertically to the new switch. If you can't get into the floor void then make one or two small holes in the ceiling. Please DON'T do what you were proposing, it's not compliant and could cause injury.

Reply to
nothanks

+1.

The electricians who wired up my house when it was built in 1976 intended the thermostat to be at the bottom of the stairs, but when I bought the property 16 years later it was on the other side of the wall, in the lounge, with the wires going through the 3 inch cinder block partition wall. The cables had not been extended so must have been done ?at the request of the first owner.

The same conduit on the hall side of the partition wall also holds the lighting cables for the lounge but there was no indication that any cables were at that location.

Reply to
Andrew

FWLIW as a pessimist who does not live alone I'd avoid the issue by fitting 2 x 2-way switches ready for when I have to turn it round again :(

Reply to
Robin

Is that metal conduit? If so it is exempt from the safe zones provisions, as you can't easily knock a nail into it or drill through it without noticing.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Probably with a pair of knickers.

Reply to
ARW

Does anyone use metal conduit in modern (1970's) estate houses ?

Reply to
Andrew

Only a mental case would have used it through choice or have specced it.

I hate the stuff. I did two house rewires with it in lockdown.

Reply to
ARW

Trust you to lower the tone.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Am I correct?

Reply to
ARW

I used it (only one piece, but curved along one section), when I re-did our kitchen during lockdown - purely as the only way to get two lighting cables from the switch to the junction box, being unable to use the safe zones due to the staircase being in the way.

Reply to
Steve Walker

As always yes.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

That is normally my job...

To quote my daughter "This conversation got weird quickly" SWMBO "What do you expect, daddy is in the room!"

Reply to
John Rumm

Exactly. The lighting and thermostat cables in my house were in standard oval plastic conduit but in the hall with no indication that they were hiding just below the plaster because the cables went through the partition wall into the lounge.

I suspect the intention was to have the stat mounted in the hall at the bottom of the stairs and this would have alerted anyone planning to drill or hammer fixings into the wall above it that there could well be cables there. Wifey of first owner probably objected and had it moved by the builders.

Reply to
Andrew

When I rewired my brother's ex-council house 15-ish years ago, we discovered a socket at the back of the fireplace - fed by a cable dropped down the centre of the chimney breast. Exactly where you'd wallop a nail in to hang a picture.

Reply to
Jonathan Harston

That would be ironic if it was a picture of the M-i-L

Reply to
ARW

I helped a neighbour rebuild his kitchen once. We were looking at re-tiling the splash back around the sink, and I noticed there was an odd bulge in the plaster that would through the tiles out of line. Hacked away at it a bit and found a 5A junction box with three cables attached that had be buried in the plaster (which was evidently not quite deep enough to fully hide it!)

(it was not long after that he asked me to re-wire the whole place!)

Reply to
John Rumm