Bulk pricing

Needing some Postcrete, I checked out local prices, and Wikes seemed best. The oddity is that, at £5.60 each, or £4.03 each for

5, buying 5 is cheaper than 4. As I have 4 posts to fix, it was a no-brainer.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Wickes are like that.

10 pack of 18 x 28 x 1.8m PSE timber is £10.49. Singles are £1.49, so if you want more than 7 you may as well buy the pack.

The reverse is also true. An 8 x 4 of 12mm ply is £25.67 but an 8 x 2 of

12mm ply is $24.59?

Go figure

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I found that buying tiles for my kitchen at Topps. It was cheaper to buy

4m2 than 3. Very odd and not a little wasteful.
Reply to
Andy Cap

On 03/02/2011 17:58, The Medway Handyman wrote: ...

Assuming that should be a pound sign, it is not at all uncommon to find that a cutting charge makes a cut size is nearly as expensive as the manufactured size.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I had a row with my boss some time in the 80s about this. He wanted 80=20 DAC80s, which at the time weren't cheap chips. It turned out that buying=20

100 would be cheaper /overall/, not just per chip.

Could I convince him? Could I hell. And this man had a PhD in a proper=20 technical subject (not flower arranging from Wolverhampton Poly).

So I bought 100 anyway and had great joy having them to hand when he=20 fried half a dozen.

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Indeed. And (allegedly) you can take back the unused 5th post (having lost the receipt) and get £5.60 credit against your next purchase ;)

David

Reply to
Lobster

I should :-)

B&Q bigger stores offer first cut free, my local BM charges 50p a cut.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Maybe I'm cynical, but perhaps this pricing allows them to make a healthy profit from small-scale DIYers (who can't fit large quantities of stuff in their cars, and wouldn't want to store extra stuff at home even if they could), while still offering attractive prices to trade customers who have vans?

Wickes' website says that they don't offer trade discounts, which surprises me:

suppose Postcrete might be a special case, because there's little point in a DIYer buying more than is immediately needed, in case it goes off in the bag and has to be taken to the tip.

Reply to
MrFerrous

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

Unless it has changed recently, the warehouses do 5 free cuts per sheet and the guys at the 2 near me can do decent cuts.

Reply to
fred

That's recently changed, at least at the Wednesbury B+Q. They used to do first four free, then 50p/cut, though if you were helpful the bloke usually overlooked it.

Now they've given up and just cut the stuff.

Reply to
Skipweasel

(%EMAIL) wibbled on Thursday 03 February 2011 18:10:

2 cuts in B&Q are free - so if it the convenience of a car sized cut, go somewhere with cutting facilities (or take a saw) and keep some spare for another project.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Is that to buy a whole sheet and get it cut to size, or to get a piece cut off the whole and only buy the bit cut off - which is what I mean by a cut size?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Ah, sorry. That is to buy the whole sheet.

An 8 x 4 is heavy, difficult to handle & a problem to secure to the roof rack. I find an 8 x 2 much easier.

However, in the Wickes case (who don't offer a cutting service) buying two 8 x 2's would cost nearly twice the cost of a single 8 x 4.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They do a loyalty card which is 'apparently' trade only. You get points rather like Tesco, but it doesn't add up to very much at all.

Every now & then I get a few 10% off vouchers which come in handy.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Cordless circular saw would probably pay for itself in a dozen sheets ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

In Wickes case jo public will get the lower price if they buy the quantity required.

Reply to
John Rumm

It's not trade only (or marketed as that) but is geared to be only worthwhile if you spend a lot.

You get £10 in Wickes per £1000 spend, apparently (more if you use Wickes a lot) and the reward points expire after 12 months if not redeemed. So not a wonderful scheme really!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, I went to the information desk to check on the price of square trellis, which they confirmed as £15.99 for 6 x 6 and also £15.99 for 6 x 3. I asked because I thought one of them might have been a mistake. The manager happened to be standing nearby and explained that they simply put a markup on what it cost them, and the lower turnover on the 6 x 3 meant it worked out the same price.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Like what? That's how quantity discounts work.

Well, there's not much point in 10 for the price of 9.5 is there? that's hardly a discount and would raise just as much bluster.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No it isn't.