Bulbs

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com brought next idea :

No, the 12v lamp would blow immediately. I have you not heard of Ohms Law?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

alan_m submitted this idea :

Though not impossible :D

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In series? Though it's not obvious what would happen as the bulbs warm up.

Reply to
Clive George

Feel free to offer your reasoning if you have any.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The push on/off types have a two way switch. Depending on make, some don't dim to extinction, so you would always have at least some light.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maser slave dimmer sets are the better answer for dimming two way switched lamps. Otherwise you often get stuck at the end without dimming control when you need to change the brightness.

(we used to have that at our previous place - dimmer on the landing was nice for low level light for nocturnal trips to the loo etc, but if you forgot to turn it up again in the morning, next time you switched it on from the hall, it was as much use a back pocket on a sock).

Reply to
John Rumm

Anyway, I have just put up a new six-bulb ceiling lamp on the landing (reasons of design - I am just the labourer). It has six ses halogen clear candle 18w bulbs. That's 108w or 138w equivalent. It's a bit too bright. Does anyone know if I can get an ses clear candle filament (pref halogen) bulb with a lower wattage than 18w? I don't want to go down the LED filament route at this point as I'm not rich enough.

In this case Google is not my friend, it is a Moroccan street market trader who ignores what I say and tries to sell me what it has. "Less than 18w? Yes my friend, I have! Look! Yes, is 42w. 42w is better! Look it is good bulb and very cheap!"

All advice welcome. Even the advice to travel back in time and get a lamp with fewer than six bulbs...

David

If SWMBO doesn't think it's too bright, then you're stuck with it. If she thinks it's too bright, then she's stuck with it as she's never wrong.

Reply to
Dave W

Yes - I've heard of those, but never used them.

When I re-wired this place, I made sure hall etc switching was easily available from everywhere it could possibly be needed. Which means 5 switches for one of them.

Unless it's more about not waking people up with the light.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That can be even more useful than a pocket for a watch in your jeans.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I remmeber planing to put thin or thick ethenet cables in everyroom. I wired speakers from the frontroom across the loft down into the kitchen a nd bathroom with swtiches so I could switch them off and on well that was i n the 80s, how was I to know that I could carry a walkman type device which could store more music than I owned. How many people now put ethernet cables through walls (in the average home) .

with IoT in the future one app on the phone will allow you to control and d im any light in the house without needing to wire them all up to dedicated dimmers or timers, of course this might not be compatable with 1970s ASDA l ighting circuits.

Think of the fun, you could put any light on in any room remotley. So if you wanted the kids up, you could turn their lights on from anywhere. Not just light of course but any electrical device including cars/bikes etc ..

Reply to
whisky-dave

Pray tell how having a walkman replaces decent speakers in a room? Are you going to carry it room to room and plug it in?

I've got cable connection to this machine. Works perfectly 24/7. Wi-Fi is ok - but can never be as reliable as cable.

Great. You get up at night to go to the loo (as was said) and have to take your phone with you to switch lights on and off. As would everyone else in the house. Really super idea.

BTW, didn't know ADSA sold lighting circuits. Did you Google to find that? Or was it in DIYdoctor?

Quite. And then they can do the same to you.

Thanks for giving even more reasons than I could think of for confirming such a system would be not just a waste of money but rubbish too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Where did I say they did ?

Try learning to read first. "I could carry a walkman type device"

I know, I have all my computers hard wored but if I say take one in to another room I can use wireless on those odd ocasions.

No I have PIR which switch on when I go to the loo.

and I wouldnt need to take the phone they;d be a preset which switch just the lights oin I wanted and at a light level I wanted like my 2-3W PIR LEDs .

Don't smartphones have a torch function as another option. ?

You could also check the ather, transport all while taking a crap. Or do you sdtill phone the AA for traffic reports.

I've no idea you said you got yours from ASDA in the 1990s. I don't like ASDA I only shop ther efor a few otems 2-3 times a year.

I"d have mine password protected.

Reply to
whisky-dave

And them also controlled by your phone? So the PIR doesn't work properly, then?

Ah. Right. So you have to remember to pre-set them with your phone before going to bed. Think I'll stick to switches.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You should know that good headphones will always sound better than speakers.

Reply to
dennis

what about the bass notes?

Reply to
charles

Have you tried good headphones?

Reply to
dennis

They don't make the floor vibrate!

Reply to
charles

Ignoring that is nonsense, would you be happy with *only* headphones in your house?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or even stereo. ;-)

Reply to