Bulb types for ceiling lights

I've just fitted a couple of "Conrad" flush ceiling lights from John Lewis and was hoping to use LED bulbs in them, but the Sfix 12W (=60W) LAP LED bulbs are too directional when fitted horizontally. Am I stuck with Halogen or are there some LED or CFL types that would be better? The base needs to be E27.

Reply to
no_spam

Look at the E27 page at ledhut to see what is available. They give beam angles for their bulbs

the first bulb on that pages is specified with a beam angle of 260 degrees and the golf ball bulb 360 degrees but that doesn't necessarily mean that's an even illumination over that angle.

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks. I think the beam angle they're considering is around the plane that's perpendicular to the bulb's axis, which is useful if the bulb is vertical but doesn't help when the bulb is horizontal. Their 6.5W 806 lumen bulb looks like it might be a bit better than the Sfix one when horizontal so I'll give it a go.

Reply to
no_spam

I've found similar styles of light suffer even with conventional lamps in.

Could you remove the ES holder and replace with 2D LED conversion which would give you a flatter and more even light source?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In message , no snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com writes

how about a corn cob type LED lamp?

This sort of thing:

Reply to
Chris French

Converting to 2D is an interesting idea, thanks. I wish I'd realised the potential problem before buying/fitting the lights because I'd have chosen something different.

Reply to
no_spam

I suspect that's what's inside the ones I've got, but I can't see because they're frosted.

Reply to
no_spam

I've some of these (but at 4100K) and they're not very directional. The 3W versions seem to give the same-ish pattern at any angle, but at about

20 deg. down from horizontal the 'bounce' from the ceiling seems best.
PeterC

Are yours fitted vertically or horizontally?

Reply to
no_spam

The 5W are vertical; some of the 3W are vertical and some are tilted as mentioned above. Even the vertical ones give good light on the ceiling. Some of them don't seem to be available from Ledlam any more - pity, as I'd been ordering them direct from the company.

Reply to
PeterC

Thanks.

Reply to