"Building-in" a Panasonic microwave

I want to build-in a Panasonic A880W microwave so need to come-up with some sort of surround or bezel, has anybody worked-out a good way of doing this?

(I know it would be easier to replace it with one that's designed to be built-in to a cupboard but it's a combined grill and microwave and a decent replacement would be expensive)

Reply to
NoSpam

NoSpam coughed up some electrons that declared:

Sorry to detract from the original question - but what about cooling and ventilation issues? My Panasonic combi specifies gaps between the top and side walls to obstructions - does your manual say anything about this?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

My built in Neff has ducting to behind the surround - although it still need a given clearance in the housing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The space above is OK. I've arranged airflow into the bottom and a chimney (ie the cupboard above has a false back) above. I plan to put a grill on the sides.

Reply to
NoSpam

NoSpam coughed up some electrons that declared:

OK.

So for the surround - just some ideas:

MDF bezel - painted with enamel white (perhaps radiator paint?) to match the microwave;

Same in white enamelled metal sheet;

Architrave to blend in with your cupboards, made into a picture frame shape.

What style are your cupboards: wood (or effect) or coloured melamine/formica finish?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I was thinking of routing an appropriate hole in a piece of "cherry effect" board (the doors are cherry and the "decor panels" are melamine cherry) - but am not convinced the edges of the hole will look good enough. I then wondered about fitting some s/s edging around the hole but haven't seen any thin s/s angle so would probably need to get some bent. The next thought was why not get someone to cut an appropriate hole in a flat sheet of s/s and, finally, is there anything out there that I can adapt. The protruding part of the oven is close to 530x330, the panel would need to be 600 wide by 400-500 high.

Reply to
NoSpam

NoSpam coughed up some electrons that declared:

If you could get the edges cut pretty well, how about some very small brass or ss angle (like 5mm x 5mm). You could probably bend that in by hand.

Or some glue on worktop edging strip (in plastic)? That should look as good as any of the other edges on your cupboards?

Reply to
Tim S

You can buy a purpose designed building-in kit for many free-standing Panasonic microwaves. I have one myself (can't remember the model number, it might be 750w). The kit includes not only a vented plastic surround for the front, but also some metal plates that go behind and above the microwave to direct the hot air out the front vent.

You can get them from Panasonic direct, see

trim kit costs =A370.

-Antony.

Reply to
antony.j.jones

The trim kit costs £70.

WOW, I didn't expect that they made one for my model. Unfortunately there isn't a picture and they're out of stock. A google search for the part number NN-TKA80WBBP just comes up with pages and pages of crap "shopping" sites :-( I've got more work to do but am grateful for the lead.

Reply to
NoSpam

I know nothing about microwave oven design, but isn't there a big difference between building in a conventional oven, and a purpose-designed built-in one?

David

Reply to
Lobster

> The trim kit costs £70.

We have a combi panasonic, not that model. It's free-standing but gets very hot if its been running at full belt for a while. Check for radiated heat from the back and top as well as providing ductiing. You may find the ducting itself gets very hot and might mellt, or melt/burn adjacent flamable material. I was thinking of building it in but gave up when I realised how hot it got. Yours may be better of course.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison