Budget

Too open to fiddling. It is far too easy to buy an MOT without the car being tested - so the same would apply if private garages carried out the annual registration too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Confirm registration details when you buy insurance?

Insurers already tell DVLA you've bought insurance so the same notification would tell them who's got the car. If it's sold then the new owner would need to insure it so the change of ownership would be automatically provided. If the car doesn't show up as being re-insured within 12 months of previous insurance then they send the boys round to find out what's happened.

At least if you're driving it without insurance then when you buy petrol to do so you can't avoid having to pay for what used to be a tax disc.

And yes, visible proof of insurance & MOT would be a good idea even if we kept tax discs.

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

It is easy enough to print one but that applies just as much to tax discs. But would a MOT testing station operative really risk his and his employers livelihood by registering a MOT certificate without carrying out the test? It would only take one to come unstuck for the whole business to collapse and with the computer link there is no way the perp. could argue that someone had copied his details off a genuine certificate.

Fake MOTs could presumably be of some use in obtaining a real tax disc at the PO counter but so too would be a fake insurance certificate. But if going down that route why bother. Automatic number plate recognition is out there looking and the first thing plod seem to do after stopping a motorist is a vehicle check which would immediately expose any clerical forgeries.

Reply to
Roger

And sometimes the database is out of date. At least one car was crushed when the owner _did_ have insurance. If anything like this is to work then the information must be accurate so a sticker on the windscreen proving MOT/insurance would be a benefit to the driver.

M.

Reply to
Mark

No it isn't.Its proportional to the fuel used. ;-)

I don't always get my own

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

I really must give up posting post night-cap. I got it right the first time around but picking up the random wrong words isn't something a spell checker will do. :-)

Come to think of it I am not sure it is right to blame the single malt. I am forever typing words that have little if any connection with what I I think I am typing.

Reply to
Roger

They were old Labour when I was at school.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yes - for money. It's near impossible to prove afterwards. A trading standards type would have to actually obtain one to have decent proof.

The paperwork isn't fake.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

We will just have to agree to disagree then.

FWIW I don't see false MOT certificates as an area for trading standards. It would be a police investigation in conjunction with the MFT.

Reply to
Roger

Perhaps you just need to know a few low lifes. ;-)

The certificates aren't false. It's the actual test that is. And as i said very difficult to prove afterwards. There are of course some prosecutions but this doesn't stop some making a quick buck.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)