BT Hub or ADSL Filter ?

This is rather a funny little problem.

Mate has a BT Hub with wireless phone attached to it. He also has a main phone just incase electric goes off. Hub and main phone are both plugged into ADSL filter.

He had problem with wireless phone and after much communication with BT, they changed it.

Since talking to BT, his wireless phone number is always engaged and any calls to it goto 1571. He can dial out on it though.

I phoned him on main phone yesterday but he was out. He phoned me in the evening using wireless phone and during the conversation I told him to check when I called by dialing 1471. He picked main phone up and we were able to chat without him doing anything.

Could it be the BT Hub has gone wrong again, or could it be the ADSL filter....?

Not keen on trying to discribe this fault to India !

Reply to
the_constructor

the_constructor coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi

uk.telecom would be a good place to ask this.

Has he tried unplugging the BT Hub and just using the line with his main phone and ADSL - that would pretty much prove whether it's the BT Hub gone up the spout or not.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood

If he connects to his BT Home Hub as admin, there are some settings for which phone is which number, whether the ip phone is wireless or wired (though by setting wireless you get both), etc, etc. Perhaps a look (or at least a look and a tinker) in there will solve the problem.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Thanks for that. Is there a number to type into the browser to get inside the hub settings ? He can't find the paperwork.

Reply to
the_constructor

192.168.1.254 should do the trick.

Cap'n Jack

Reply to
Capn Jack Sparrow

I can't remember the default IP address for a HomeHub router off the top of my head, though it will be in the 192.168.x.y range.

The best way to determine it is:

Start | Run -> cmd (at the C:\ prompt) ipconfig

The address you want will be listed as the Default Gateway address.

Type this address into the browser and follow the menus. You are probably looking for menu entries such as Config, Setup or Admin. If you are asked for username and password, try user=admin and password=admin.

Reply to
Mortimer

Sounds like his hub is not registering to the number correctly. It needs to re-register the Broadband Talk number.

In theory, this should be automatic. But it sounds like its not in this case.

Start by getting onto the IP address of the hub, as described elsewhere in the thread and pushing the registration if possible. Might need both the Broadband Talk phone number, and its associated password (should have been supplied in an email).

The fault, as described, has nothing to do with the ADSL filter.

Not surprised !

- Nigel (ex BT product design)

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Get your friend to check the Telephone field on the router it may be misconfigured as you have an variety of options there.

Reply to
kráftéé

I would like to thank all who responded to this problem. The problem has now been sorted thanks, by BT Broadband, because pal didn't know where he had put password etc. It was infact as some suggested, that iot needed registering again. Clever at BT. They took control of his PC and did all the necessary. I didn't know they could do that. Ah well, another lesson learned. Thanks everyone

Reply to
the_constructor

He let BT take control of his PC? Mon dieu......

Reply to
Andy Hall
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

I agree, the only firm who tells their agents to clear the DNS caché by going into Administrative Tools, I kid you not......

Reply to
kráftéé