Brush cutters

Currently have a strimmer but fed up with the line breaking, the "automatic" line feeding doing anything but, and finding little blue bits of plastic strimmer line everywhere.

Thinking of a brush cutter instead.

There's a 950 watt Bosch model at Screwfix which looks likely (mains powered; don't want petrol, not arsed about battery) but thought I'd check with the hive mind for any pointers.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
David Paste

I have a 36V line/brush cutter.

With a brush cutter blade the battery lasts much longer (suppose the blade maintains momentum better) and it's good at hacking down heavier stuff.

With a string line, it's better for obliterating what was cut down into dust. I bought a second line drum, so I can rewind both spools before the start of a session, quick swap to avoid having to rewind in the middle of the job.

I find the bump feed is quite good (certainly compared to a 20+ year old B&D strimmer)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Aren't you talking about two different beasts? Brush cutters are very powerful and used really for "wild" areas where you don't care what they hit. Strimmers are for cultivated areas where you really want to avoid hitting shrubs, plastic lawn/bed edging, etc, and even if you do, the strimmer line won't do any damage.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

There are machines that straddle the gap, e.g.

Andy Burns