Bright LED light?

The 15W cree bulb I'm looking at now is ONLY in BC format.

Gefreiter Krueger

I compared like for like. I closed the curtains so the room was almost dark, then switched each one of the bulbs on alternately, in the same position, and looked at how bright the room was, I was not looking at the bulb, but how bright objects in the room were.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

dennis@home put finger to keyboard:

Asda were selling 105W GLS-size halogens just last week.

Reply to
Scion

I'm sticking to these:

Gefreiter Krueger

rote:

ertainly noticed this LED light being dim. It said 90W equivalent. I comp ared it to an old CFL that was rated 100W equivalent, and it was about half the brightness.

ess or colour as teh eye and the brain adapts.

ark, then switched each one of the bulbs on alternately, in the same positi on, and looked at how bright the room was, I was not looking at the bulb, b ut how bright objects in the room were.

Still not very accurate I have infra Red LEDS which take a hoighr current i .e more power than the white ones I have bit of course I can see light from teh IR ones but they are using more power. I suspect cheaper bulbs have pe rhasp more light in the IR and use more power. I've instaled 4 LED tubes in a room and while they claim to be equa;laant tehy certainly look brighter when loked at but no where near as bright on objects and the light is less even than the flourescant tubes.

I wish I'd used a light meter or perhaps a camera to measure the true brigh tness for a more accurate measurement than my perception of brightness. I've also notice that the colour fidelity isn;t as good with LEDs .

Anothe rproblem in the so called life expectance of LEDs most are quotes in 10,000s of hours but that's provided yuo use them for less than 3 hours pe r day. I know someone that brought some (Well ebay so quality unknown) expected l ife >50,000 hours, he left them on for a week and 20% of them falled the ot hers discoloured.

I've also heard that certain types of plants don;t grow as well with LED li ghts as they do with either tuinsten or flourescant that was from an aquari um shop were they grow their own plants.

So what wattage is daylight noon around this time of year what wattage bu lb would I need to equal it ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Funny, I just tried that. A digital camera set to auto exposure is good. I placed a 60W incandescent and a 10W Cree LED bulb near each other, then aimed the camera at each from the same distance and noted the exposure it selected for different angles. It seems that the 10W one I linked to first is more than 60W, probably 90 as they said. But their lumens are only quoted as 700 for some reason, which is that of a 60W bulb.

50,000 hours would be continuous, otherwise it's being very silly and just lying. The problem is they don't have a big enough heatsink and overheat. The one I linked to runs 15C cooler then the GU10 spots I have. However I've just dismantled a failed CREE spotlight and tested each LED with a variable voltage PSU and found just one LED failed (it will glow gently at lower voltage, but as I bring it towards working voltage is flickers then goes off). Something loose inside it presumably. So I can keep them for spare parts and make new ones as more fail.

I don't see why. If in doubt find the spectrum graph of all bulbs in question and get something that has more of whatever the plants need.

Just get loads of bulbs. I've got 10 in this room, which is 11x11 feet.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger