Bricks blowing

Hi

Interesting question: what causes bricks to blow out, their surfaces to expand and turn to powder?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Would it not be water ingress ,then the water freezing,expanding and doing the damage .? Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

In the case of soft victorian bricks, it is usually someone repointing them with a cement based mortar so that the mortar ends up harder than the brick so when things expand and contract something has to give.

Reply to
John Rumm

N. Thornton wrote on Friday (13/02/2004) :

Usually porous bricks. They absorb moisture which then freezes, expands thus blowing the brick face out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Some patterns of bricks can easily be put in upside down. You will sometimes se a wall that looks wet in ome places and dry in others shortly after rain. I imagine that if frost gets on the badly placed ones, the frost can blow the face off.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Err, what's the alternative to cement based mortar ?!

P.

Reply to
Zymurgy

lime based mortar

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by Harry Bloomfield, and I thusly replied:

You know what I'm going to say now...

Reply to
The Right Rev. Peter Parsnip