Bottom of door rotting

The front door c1860 is made of 5 vertical sections/planks. Although within a porch the bottom of the door has some rotting and water damage particularly at the joins.

I'm about to repaint the door and am looking for suggestions including products for making good the damage.

Reply to
AnthonyL

If you're thinking about doors at 05.57 in the morning the problem must be quite bad ;-)

There are many suitable fillers out there that will do the job, but personally I have had success with the resin from car bodywork repair kits for fibreglass repair.

Dry wood thoroughly, fill and sand areas required Mix resin properly, paint well onto/into wood where rotting, allow to dry and sand back. Finish with a good undercoat or varnish etc

SWMBO has been nagging and pangs of guilt :(

Thanks I'll give it a go. You seem to suggest not necessarily removing the rotten wood. Is that correct?

Reply to
AnthonyL

If the rotten wood is easy to remove by, say, poking it with a screwdriver, then trying to reinforce it with resin will probably be a fruitless task. If it's reasonably stable, the resin treatment (aka "Ronseal wood hardener" at an inflated price)is worth a try. However, as the previous poster says, the wood has to be dry, and rotten wood holds a lot of moisture. I'd tackle it at the end of the heatwave :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

More like pangs of pain in the earole ;-)

If you can't screw a nice looking shaped bottom edge to it without losing the appeal then yes. If painting over then the resin will need a little sanding to provide a key for the paint to stick to.

AnthonyL,

No, remove all of the rot back to solid material [and a bit more] - and then fill with a product such as 'filltite' [see the link] otherwise you really are wasting your time.

If the rot is bad, then it may be better to cut the rot out and scarf new timber into the door rather than filling. This is a better method - but if the rot is really bad, consider replacing the door, as repairs are unlikely to last for more than a year to eighteen months.

when you have repaired and prepared the door for painting, avoid using any of the 'one coat' wonder products or any acrylic (water based) primers, undercoats and gloss finishes - stick to the 'traditional' good quality, oil based ones and use thus:

1 - Spot prime any bare patches and filler with a pink or aluminium primer (oil based)

2 - Two coats of undercoat (oil based)

3 - One [or two] coats of gloss (yep, you guessed it, oil based)

4 - You can alternate this if you wish to one coat of undercoat and two coats of gloss

To get the best seal possible, also paint the top and bottom edges of the door to give maximum longevity - all this will take time, but you won't have to redecorate that door again for at least five years.

Note: I would suggest that is easier to remove the door and put it on a bench or couple of trestles to carry out the rot repairs as a more thorough job can be done and also allow the painting of the bottom.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Dear Anthony The posts which say you are wasting your time resin reparing rot are right. Cut it out to sound wood. There is only one resin I have found any use at all in the last 30 years of profession repairs to timber rot and that is the Windowcare system. There are three two part resins

- a "primer" - a filler / glue - and spot quick filler for making good. Dont bother with the latter. Use the first two to make good any minor inperfections and to fill the gap between new and old wood. chris

Reply to
mail