Bottle trap for shower?

I am replacing a shower which has a standard 'S' type trap under the tray. Life would be much easier if i could replace this with a Bottle trap which i beleive is usually intended for under basins. Will a Bottle trap be ok on a shower tray.

Reply to
Barnsey

Hope so... I've got one on mine and the flooring's down now!

Reply to
Huge

In short, no. Not unless you have very easy access to it. When it gets blocked (as it will) you have no way of clearing a bottle trap. Get a proper shower trap (like a shallow clearable bottle trap).

Reply to
TonyK

On 14 Nov 2006 10:32:59 -0800 someone who may be "Barnsey" wrote this:-

Possibly. Depends how much hair gets gummed up in it.

S shaped bottle trap? Interesting.

Reply to
David Hansen

Have a look at Hepworth HepVO traps. These will fit into tight mechanical situations and without the maintenance headaches from bottle traps. A shower is an ideal place for one.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes I can't see why a conventional bottle trap would be so much better (if at all) than an S-trap.

Just to follow up TonyK's reccomendation (with which I agree wholeheartedly) the point about a shower trap is that the grille in the drain hole can be readily removed and the whole trap cleaned out FROM ABOVE.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Like the current S trap, the new tray is raised sufficiently to allow access to unscrewing the bottem of the Bottle trap if necessary. Therefore, if the Bottle trap doesn't have any inherent performance problems in being used under a shower as apposed to an S trap i think i'll us it. Thanks.

Reply to
Barnsey

It will work, but the better solution is to use a proper shower trap that can be dismantled and cleaned from above.

can find them cheaper than this if you look around.

Reply to
Steve Firth

How high would the shower have to be to allow you to unscrew a bottle trap? Clearing from above is the only sensible solution. A bent coat hanger works pretty well. Hair seems to form itself into a plat, which usually comes out in one go.

Reply to
Stuart Noble