Bored man discovers 120-year-old tunnel under his house while doing DIY in lockdown

In message snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> writes

Does anyone know how typical London Edwardian terraces were constructed? Dave perhaps? The natural ground level is often lower than the highway as if construction spoil was dumped at the front giving semi-basements with level access to the gardens.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's a change from "The Old Vicarage".

Have they sorted out their water main yet?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Not too well up on Edwardian ones. Mine is Victorian and semi detached (just) The passage between the houses just about wide enough for a wheel barrow. But both front and rear gardens and the pavement are approx at the same level.

My cellar runs the length of the main house. But only has standing room over about a half the width. The drains for this house and next door run through the part you can't stand up in. ;-)

The rear addition is similar - only dug down about 4 feet below floor level, and only for about 2/3rds of the length. The original scullery at the far end having a solid floor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All sorted when it was demolished. They stopped up the branch to the brothel and laid a new pipe. Unfortunately they damaged our pipe and when we had a water meter fitted it was clocking up 30 cubic metres a day. Really.

We were not charged for the water, and SE Water fixed the pipe free.

Reply to
Bob Eager

'Science!' Shouts Democrat Before Running Into A Tunnel Painted On A Wall

David P

I have explained this somewhere up-thread. The roadway was built up from the spoil created from clearing the foundations (if any) so typically the truer ground level is at the back.

Reply to
DJC

Do you dig holes for a job.

Reply to
GB

Ah! Sorry. Attention deficit disorder:-)

First noticed at a property in Randolph Av. Maida Vale. (church land?)

Reply to
Tim Lamb