Bookcases

One place I worked we got viking ones for box-files. They were a world away from the cheap flatpack ones in terms of solidity and sturdiness and actually looked and felt like furniture rather than kindling. Plus they either came assembled or someone came with them and built them for us.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

One place I worked we got viking ones for box-files. They were a world away from the cheap flatpack ones in terms of solidity and sturdiness and actually looked and felt like furniture rather than kindling. Plus they either came assembled or someone came with them and built them for us.

Reply to
Owain

There's nothing like a sweeping generalization, when you have nothing better to contribute, eh?

In case you haven't been to Argos recently, they do a whole range from cheap "veneered" to very sturdy solid wood stuff.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yes it is but most people seem to get out alive :-(

And some of their goods are very good.

Give it a try - take a friend and laugh!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Argos is even more depressing than Ikea, and there's nothing to laugh at :-((

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But if you go to Homebase you can actually see quite a bit of the stuff that Argos sell - and decide on its quality before going to Ikea... :-)

Reply to
Rod

Staff or customers?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

or Crufts....

Reply to
Andy Hall

You're absolutely right - however Argos is located on the High Street and if absolutely necessary I can just steel myself and pop in to buy something if I'm in town: on the other hand the nearest Ikeas are all located miles away next to a motorway junction, so most people (me included) have to get in the car for a special journey and possibly (certainly for me) a longish drive. And *then* when you get there you've got Ikea-hell... that's what for me makes it so awful. No complaints about the products themselves though.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Actually, Argos have just moved out of town here! A new Extra! branch on a new-ish shopping development. And I can't see the current in-town branch remaining open. I have been wondering what their plan is with two Homebases and now two Argos branches in one town.

Mind, Ikea is 20 miles away.

Reply to
Rod

There's nothing like a sweeping generalization, when you have nothing better to contribute, eh?

In case you haven't been to Argos recently, they do a whole range from cheap "veneered" to very sturdy solid wood stuff.

I assemble loads of flatpack, probably more in a year than most people do in a lifetime. Without exception every piece of Argos flatpack I've had the misfortune to assemble has been crap. Badly designed, cheaply made, rubbish fixings - the solid wood stuff (made largely from scrap scarf jointed together) twists & warps like a bugger.

IKEA on the other hand have my blanket praise - never found anything that wasn't up to scratch.

Ner ner ne ner ner.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Very difficult to "wander" around IKEA and it takes for ever to get to the checkout.

Be warned the bookcases are good value but if you want more than the base pack the chances of finding all the extras in the right colour are almost zero.

Reply to
robert

If you look behind you there are generally several shortcuts ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you can bring yourself to go in in the first place.

I can appreciate IKEA's business model and their reasonable value for money. For me, the problem is the shopping experience. I don't want to have to trail around the store to get one thing and the short cuts usually have to be pointed out and opened by a staff member.

Warehouse picking and not having confirmed knowledge of availability before going is no good, and then having to arrange delivery separately is unreasonable.

Added to this the meatballs and lingonberries in the restaurant are crap.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I sympathise with your misfortune, for that is, indeed, what it is, nothing to do with Argos quality.

I haven't come across any that is scarf jointed. The solid would range are made from narrow "planks" like the pine "shelfboard" that you can buy. It goes together very well and certainly does not deserve to be called "s**te".

That's not my experience.

Yahboo sucks!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Well, there is a choice of menu.

Last night at IKEA there was fried fish and chips, plus salmon, plus a selection of pasta dishes. Not just meatballs.

However, I had 10 meatballs with the lingonberry sauce and the light coloured gravy. Wonderful stuff!

Reply to
Bruce

take a trip to Stockholm to discover how it should be done properly along with Jansson's Frestelse, Pyttipanna and on Thursday lunchtimes, ärtsoppa followed by pancakes.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do it at a quiet time, and just think of it as exercise :-)

Reply to
Clive George

The IKEA 5 minute shopping guide:

Turn up at opening time Walk into the store via the exit Walk to where the display area ends and the warehouse starts Find trolley Pick up item from shelf and load onto trolley Go to the checkout and pay Find the exit that you walked through less than 5 minutes previously Exit via the exit

The 6 minute IKEA shopping guide involves turning up at any time and thus having to queue for about a minute at the checkout.

The 4 hour IKEA shopping guide involves entering via the entrance and exiting via the exit, something that only an idiot or a first time visitor to IKEA would do.

Reply to
Mike

Except when we went to Wembley to get bedroom furniture. There was an hour wait for the checkout. Oh, and some itmes they promised they had in stock, weren't in stock.

Once we acquired the "out of stock" items, we've never been back. And likely never will. Like Andy says, the shopping experience sucks donkey dick.

Reply to
Huge