Boiling water from kitchen tap? Blind broken? Get a new window.

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 22:43:40 +0100, "Bert Coules"

I've come across them before, thirty or more years ago. Admittedly not micro-sized slats, but approx 1", the outside DG panel being conventional, the inner panel being single-pane but hinged/removeable and the whole construction made in extruded aluminium. Rather neat, very heavy, not terribly reliable and expensive as hell. Looked really good though; and the only place that could afford to have their entire office block fitted with the system was the local Electric Board. Of course.

Very common in offices, where ordinary kettles are unviable, and waste time ( = money). Often combined with a chilled water tap.

They're used inside office partition windows in the same way. They tend to go wrong a lot less often when protected between glass.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Erm, I'd have thought some electrically triggered chemical in the glass would work better than a mechanical blind like that, no moving parts. Sounds like a gimmick for those with more money than sense. Anyone remember the venetian blind craze for car back eindows?
"Bert Coules" < snipped-for-privacy@bertcoules.co.uk> wrote in message
On 29/09/2013 10:01, Brian Gaff wrote:

And what happened to the vinyl roof?

On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 10:53:15 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Cars stopped rusting top down ?

LCD windows exist, which go dark at the flick of a switch. They've come up a couple of times on Grand Designs, and a customer I used to visit in London occasionally has them in the glass conference room partitions. Damn expensive I suspect.

I think it started with hatchbacks whose seat fabric was rotted by the sun coming through the rear window. Citroen GS was infamous for this problem, and various internal and external louvre add-ons were available to try and address the problem.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 28/09/2013 22:43, Bert Coules wrote:

Friend had one installed - about £800 IIRC for one that boiled the water. Opposed to a couple of hundred for one that went to about 95C.
Justified through gritted teeth as handy for pasta and tea/coffee.
--
Cheers, Rob

Not that new - the H&S angle is that there is no trailing wires, no jug full of 2 litres of boiling water, etc...
But have you seen the price?
I looked at them recently - the "true" boiling water ones are just astronomical for what they're doing. I'm sticking to the kettle.
Gordon
On 29/09/2013 11:46, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Yes, as I said earlier, the ain't cheap! My 3kW 7 litre Quooker Combi cost getting on for a grand. SWMBO deemed it worth it for the convenience. It certainly does everything she wanted it for, and does it very well.
--
Cheers,
Roger

The cost of PAT testing a basic kettle in an office where it's in constant use can be a significant factor. Because they aren't designed for such use, the retest period may be only one or two months, and the life probably less than 6 months.

--
Andrew Gabriel
On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 14:28:03 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

With kettle avaialbe for afiver from the big supermarkets don't bother testing at all just buy new every couple of months. New kit doesn't *need* to be tested, though a lot of Elves seem to think it does.
--
Cheers
Dave.

A couple of years ago, I bought four new disco quality lights - just for the hell of it, I PAT tested them. One failed!
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

I'd say a source of instant boiling water very useful in an office - no waiting around for a kettle to boil. Not so sure it would be at home, though.
--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Many thanks for all the replies. Both ideas were new to me, so it's interesting to learn that they've been around for a while.
Roger Mills wrote:

Yes, that was rather my thought too. Always useful to hear from an actual user.
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Now that sounds almost as good (if not more so). Are such things still available? I'll have a search around.
Apparently Which tested instant hot water dispensers from several manufacturers in January 2012:
http://tinyurl.com/n8gx7jf
That's just a summary introduction, the whole article is only available online if you subscribe. I'll take a look at the print version at my local library tomorrow.
"Bert Coules" wrote in message

We installed one of the 'instant boiling water' taps during our recent re-build and it is excellent. Yes it was pricy but we reasoned that it would save us in the end. The 'dead leg' time from our hot tank to the kitchen is a measured 20 seconds. For things like cups of tea and coffee there is no delay. For water for boiling eggs, vegetables etc. it get used frequently. Also recently for blanching stuff from the vegetable plot for freezing. Ours also incorporates a filter for cold water as well.
AWEM
On 29/09/2013 12:03, Bert Coules wrote:

Ours is similar to this, but was only £30 at ALDI http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/kettles/breville-vkj318-hot-cup-with-variable-fill-five-cup-hot-water-dispenser-black-04013995-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR~Household+Appliances~04013995

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thanks for the link. Does it produce water that is truly boiling, or simply extremely hot?
On 29/09/2013 15:21, Bert Coules wrote:

Boiling. If it hasn't been used for a while (first thing in the morning for example) we run off say half a cup, then make tea.

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Ah, right. Good. Thanks, Dave.