Boilers!

I guessed right in the first place. Plumbers are good for drains and gutters.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

And 6 years warranty on the hot water heat exchanger.

The CH circuit includes a "filter".

Keith G. Powell

Reply to
Keith G. Powell

It is a cyclone with trap. Please do not top post as it throws the thread out. thanks.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I have no experience on their boilers, and so they may be okay, but personally I'd recommend avoiding Biasi radiators like the plague. Lifetime is over the guarantee period but that's about all whereas Stelrads on the same system last forever.

Reply to
Mike

IMHO it does with the ones mentioned

Reply to
John

Doesn't apply at warehouses, or if you need to order IME.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

I heard that there were problems with the first Turbomax models but that they have ironed them out. It might be a good idea to buy a boiler that has been around for at least three years, to benefit from from any teething troubles that show up being fixed. Just an idea,

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Having worked on a Biasi - My overall impression was that it were average typical low end design with a 'tinny' feel to its construction.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

There was a letter in the IMechE journal about 3 months back. As best I can recall it (and my recollection might not be precise), the CEng author had compared the life expectancy of condensing & non-condensing boilers.

The average life expectancy of the condensing boilers was significantly shorter, to the extent that if one took account of the total life cycle energy use, in manufacturing the new boiler and consumed in using the boiler, non-condensing boilers were more energy efficient.

The problem was mainly in the alloys used for the heat exchangers and the effect of the acidic condensate.

This is largely irrelevant since gas boilers must be condensers (with a few exceptions, as above), & oil burners will follow soon.

Reply to
Aidan

But was it comparing modern condensing boilers or the abominations that were made a few years ago?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

What was he comparing? There are some one piece stainless exchanger, top mounted burner boilers around - the Glow Worm is a good well priced one. They last, and last well. The new aluminium silicon coated exchangers have overcome problems. It is like comparing a RR with Lada, as that is what these shock, horror, fury reports do. If you compared a Lada with a RR people would laugh at you. Ignorance of condensing technology makes people believe complete nonsense. The biggest offender is the Daily Telegraph with some d*****ad named Howell.

The problem now is that the makers have tarted up their existing ranges and installed secondary heat exchangers on them to get them through the regs. Look at Ideal. The old Classic now has a secondary heat exchanger (cast-iron main exchanger), and the fan in the flue hot flue gasses. Yet the new superior one piece exchanger ICOS is not that much more expensive and has the fan in the cool air intake. One piece exchangers, top mounted burners are also self cleaning. Reports of bad condensers will continue giving the good boilers a bad name. One year ago few condensers had secondary exchangers, now most do. We have gone backwards in some respects.

Silicon coating has eliminated that problem.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

As best as I can recall it was the recorded life expectancy, so this suggests figures collected over 7, 10 or 15 years. A bullet-proof kryptonite mythical boiler coming on the market now would take several years to affect the data.

Like I said, it's some months ago, I've probably binned the magazine and can't be bothered to look for it.

Dr. Evil says that "Silicon coating has eliminated that problem." Which brochure did he read that in, I wonder?

Hopefully, by the time my recent non-condenser expires, the technology will have improved & proved itself.

Reply to
Aidan

Whilst on the subject I am weighing up whether to DIY or get someone in to fit.

Very roughly, how much does it cost to have a boiler replaced?

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

My quote for just a replacing (and no repositioning) of boiler and cylinder came to 1700+VAT from a plumber I trust. But I do want it repositioning and new rads, a couple of rads moved and the towel radiator run off the HW side of the boiler.... and now its about twice that! I gather that this may be a little pricey but since I'm condfident that the work will be done well I'm willing to pay the extra.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers