Boilerjuice

Anyone actually used them?

Pleased? Displeased?

Reply to
Huge

I use them all the time to get a better quote from my local suppliers.

Boilerjuice simply take a cut and pass the business on.

Once you have their quote, the locals will always better it :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup, I'll second that, although the last time I ordered, my usual supplier did acknowledge that BJ's price was extremely competitive.

Reply to
The Wanderer

what are the requirements for having oil delivered, what storage facility do you need for them to deliver as my car runs on that oil mixed 75%oil 25%diesel. i lost contact with my supplier and need a source, they do minimum 500 litres wich works out to £195 plus the diesel i will need 125 litres @ £0.95 l = £119 + £195 = £313 compared to £595 of diesel(proper.

p.s is this illegal?

Reply to
Gav

If you don't pay the excise duty on the fuel used in a vehicle used on the public roads, then yes. Excise duty payable on home brew biodiesel or vegetable oil is about 45p or 50p per litre ( I think).

Customs & Excise do test the fuel in vehicles whose owners they think may have had access to duty-free fuel (construction workers, fishermen, farmers, etc). They turned up with a mobile lab to test the fleet owned by a person who had purchased several drums of red (excise-free) diesel to power stationary machinery.

If you get caught, they estimate the mileage you've done since purchasing the vehicle, the fuel consumption and demand payment of all the duty they think you may have evaded, plus interest.

Reply to
Aidan

they do take the proverbial, why do they want so much duty, it seems any way you turn in a car you will pay! they want us to use 'greener' methods, why should we get our hands dirty to help the environment when we will pay a penalty for doing so!

also how can they prove you have used the fuel all through your ownership? it's complete lunacy.

before i noticed your post i was reading the gov site:

is a bit about generating electricity from bio fuels, don't know what duty applies, could i put a generator in my car instead of engine then use that to power electric motors to run the car? wish i had the cash to put it to test!

Reply to
Gav

They certainly do, it's just another means of getting money out of you.

I believe that, if you're in the unhappy situation of having been caught, it's your problem to prove how much excise duty you have evaded. In the absence of such proof, they make an estimate, which is heavily biased in their favour, and can extract payment through the courts. I think they can also confiscate the vehicle. I'm not fully acquainted with the rules & regulations.

It has been frequently discussed on this forum;

advice from the assorted accountants and lawyers on that forum was that you can expect a bit of give & take from the Inland Revenue (as it was then called), but it was very inadvisable to mess with Customs & Excise. They have lots of odd powers to cause grief.

I think you'd still get charged duty if you had an engine/alternator/electric motor arrangement mounted in the car. I think the only way around it is a battery powered vehicle. This would probably require about a tonne of lead acid batteries, so it's still not a very green solution.

Reply to
Aidan

maybe it's a good time to build that superflux bio capacitor i was thinking of building!

Reply to
Gav