Boiler problem not repaired by plumber - advice sought

ok, the boiler is on the ground floor of a normal 2 storey house. The highest radiator is in the ensuite and it is a tall one. It is 15 feet from ground floor to top of highest radiator. The pressure gauge is 20" off the ground. So less than 14 feet.

There is a red movable pointer on the gauge which is set at just over

1.4 bar. As far as I can remember it was set at that position since installation but that is not recorded in the commissioning book.

I'm not sure how to know what the temperature is. There is a display in the boiler which shows 70c when the heating is off (and it has been off for 2 hours now) but I think this is the temperature of the stored hot water (it is a combi boiler with a small reserve of hot water inside).

The current pressure reading is just below 0.4 bar and all radiators are cold.

Martin

Reply to
Martin J. Evans

does the work is likely to have something a bit more sophisticated, though.

Reply to
GB

+1
Reply to
Newshound

Violating any law - NO! (in the same way that you're not when you unscrew the cap on one of the valves on your car, to check the tyre pressure). This is exactly the same type of valve - just unscrew the cap and stick a tyre pressure gauge on the valve - having first operated the pressure release valve on the water system to de-pressurise that.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Martin

Reply to
Martin J. Evans

As said, check the PRV isn't leaking even when the pressure is normal. From what I have seen, they don't always close fully after being activated :(

Reply to
gremlin_95