Boiler flue position - measure from centre or edge?

In the diagrams you get with boiler manuals there is a picture of a house with all the allowable positions for a flue with respect to various parts of the house. For example the minimum distance from a flue to the side of an opening window is 300mm. The question is, where is the measurement taken from? Is it from the centre of the flue or its edge as this is a 50mm difference in most cases?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve North

Edge.

I guess this isn't what you want to hear. But you can argue alternative measures with your BCO if something is insurmountable.

Reply to
G&M

In my Boulter installation manual (oil fired boiler) it shows the measurement as taken from the side of the flue nearest to the window or whatever, BTW it also shows the minimum distance to be 600mm horizontally from any opening, airbrick,window or door. In fact 600 is the minimum distance from any obstruction apart from an internal corner =900,above ground =700, between terminals on the same wall = 1200 etc etc etc. I assume that these minimum distances are taken from a British Standard (CP). Tom

Reply to
Tom

IIRC the BS specifies default distances which the mfrs instructions can override.

In general non-fanned-flue appliances have humungous clearances (in the order of feet*, such as you quote), fanned-flues have much smaller clearances (in the order of inches*).

  • Of course we're not allowed to say that these days :-)
Reply to
John Stumbles