boiler flue heat deflector

Anyone know how close to a plastic bath waste you can position a boiler flue? IIRC 75mm is the rule, but would a deflector enable you to get closer? Or maybe the bath waste itself could be replaced by the type of heat resistant plastic used in condensing boilers? In this instance every little helps since CORGI man decided to use the old flue hole, leaving the base of the new boiler just 2" above the kitchen worktop. Told the customer it was "the law". By my reckoning it could go up at least 15". Any thoughts appreciated.

Reply to
stuart noble

1) See if you can download the manual for that particular model this is the difinitive answer. 2) It will depend on the flue type and the rating of the boiler. but typically this is 75mm for a typcial fan assisted flue/duct. (I ues that must be clear minimum and not between centres as that would be very close). 3) The issue might not be so much about heat from the flue but restricting the path for the air intake.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

OK. Thanks. I'll talk to Baxi, but even 75mm allows me to raise the boiler

15".
Reply to
stuart noble

I can picture it now. The old boiler had a big balanced flue hole and the installer reused the hole for the flue/duct.

Usually when I come across this situation the old hole is just where you want to put the fixing for the new boiler...

Reply to
Ed Sirett

But, as most new boilers have a top flue, the base of the boiler ends up lower down than before which, in this case, renders the kitchen worktop unuseable. I can't believe anyone with an ounce of respect for their customer would do that, but my experience of plumbers suggests that they inhabit their own little twilight world where ripping off the customer is sport. There are people that, if you give them a tenner, will give it back to you, and then come and steal it.

Reply to
stuart noble

"stuart noble" customer would do that, but my experience of plumbers suggests that they

"Some" new boilers have a back entry option for the flue (Glow Worm for one) thus your displacement problem ceases to be pertinent

Reply to
John

Sounds like some (ex)customers I know.

Most boilers have an option to put the flue at the rear of the cabinet rather than the top. However some models require you to order a different flue/duct when you buy.

Reply to
Ed Sirett