Can a Combi Boiler be mounted Horizontally?

I was just thinking about replacing our boiler, but we live in a small flat where space is a premium. I have a very small traditional boiler, but I realise the smallest combi will be bigger.

cheers gna

Reply to
gna03633

In theory some of the pre-mix radiant burners with spiral tube heat excahgers could go in on their sides. The auto air vent would have to be re-positioned. In practice. NO!

Look at the Worcester Bosch Junior. That is very small. Look at the size.

Reply to
IMM

The Isar range from Ideal are quite a bit smaller still, and available with more power (upto 35kW).

Reply to
John Rumm

I think the Isar is wider. Depends on the space available.

Reply to
IMM

Err.. no

The 24i Junior is 600, 400, 325mm (H, W, D) but that is only part of the story. It also needs 25mm either side, 200mm below, 180mm above, and

25mm to the front.

The Ideal Isar HE 35 is 687, 390, 278mm (H, W, D) and requires

5mm either side, 100mm below, 185 above, 0 to the front.

So for the WB you get a total space requirement of 980, 450, 350mm and the Ideal you get 787, 400, 278

So the WB requires over one and a three quater times the volume of the Ideal, which has has one and a half times the power.

Err.. no - Think you will find the size of the boiler is pretty much fixed irrespective of the space you have available.

Reply to
John Rumm

1.5 times the power. Is 35 kW 1.5 times more than 28kW?

The Isar is a condensing boiler, which in some cases cannot be fitted where flats are concerned. It is also more reliable (so far) and simpler (no

3-way valve), although uses more gas being a regular boiler.

Just before the Isar came out I fitted an Ideal regular combi simply because it was the only boiler that fitted the space. I'm not great fan of Ideal's pre-mix burners. They tend to go boom far to frequently..

Reply to
IMM

Nope, but it is about 1.5 x more than 24, which is waht I was using as an example...

Are you talking about two boilers in that sentance? It is not that clear.

The Isar being a condensing boiler will meet the minimum standards for energy use as required by part L of the building regs. Since the WB Jr. is in SEDBUK band D, it would suggest its sales opotunities are likely to become limited in the near future.

Reply to
John Rumm

The Isar is a condensing boiler, which in some cases cannot be fitted where flats are concerned. The W-B is also more reliable (so far) and simpler (no

3-way valve), although uses more gas being a regular boiler.

We all shall see before April.

Reply to
IMM

Why do you say that? Just because of the flue plume?

Reply to
John Rumm

I was wondering about that, I understood from browsing around the condensing bowlers exhaust out steam. I thought a pipe could be run up the side of the building, like the soil pipe.

I think what I may do is get a few people in like British Gas etc and see what they say. The problem is my exsisting traditional bowler is very small (and old), and is positioned right near the toilet - anything to thick would stop you standing up the do the biz ;-)

Reply to
gna03633

Yep. I see many problem after April, resulting in court cases.

Reply to
IMM

That seems rather melodramatic.

I suppose if non-condensing boilers go off of the market altogether and CORGI fitters are forced to fit condensing models and there are cases where the plume (if any) is a problem, then there could be an issue.

But who is going to complain, and to whom? The neighbours of the person having the boiler installed? To the local authority for nuisance? Possibly, although that would be tricky since at that point the law would back the use of condensing products and they would have been installed according to the maker's instructions and the relevant standard.

If there are still non-condensing boilers on the market, the fitter may well just recommend one because of the "risk of nuisance". Who is going to ever catch up with that? Not the BCO because most installations are self certified by the installer. Possibly there could be an issue when the householder wants to sell, but then the defence is that it was done to avoid a dispute with neighbours.

This really is another example of legislation for its own sake and without thinking through the implications and considering the totality of the situation. That is not to say that I don't think that condensing boilers aren't a good idea, but at least appropriate installation techniques and standards should have been put in place to avoid technical problems before legislating to face save for Kyoto commitments. Another Rocky horror show.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

A quick trawl through my stock of downloaded manuals include the word vertical.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

How big can this plume be?

I live on the upper ground floor of a 4 storey town house, the boiler is on the side wall where all the soil pipes are. Can this vent be ducted up the side of the, there are is another building next door.

I am keen to get something that is energy efficent, but need something that will fit into the 'tiny' space I have

ta gna

Reply to
gna03633

It really depends on the boiler, and the outside temperature and humidity, plus the flue arrangements.

Even a conventional boiler on a cold day will generate a plume into the air.

Condensing boilers are fan driven, so the combustion products are pushed out by the fan anyway.

I have seen a poor one on a cold day under full power, put out a plume a metre long, dispersing into the air.

Equally, I have seen a good one, under the same conditions showing virtually nothing.

Yes it can. Many condensing boilers can use 50mm plastic high temperature waste pipe as an intake and a flue. You can run them quite a number of metres (20 typically) from the boiler.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think you woulf have to be pretty anal to get that worried about it. We are not talking steam train here! Probably no more dramatic that a boiling kettle.

I had a similar requirement - I wanted a decent condesing combi that would fit the rather small space left by a tiny gloworm system boiler. Spent a long time trawling through specs to find something small enough, and with enough power. I eventually found the Isar I mentioned above, was nice to install and has performed very well since. I would be interesting to know if you find any smaller.

Reply to
John Rumm

You have to be kidding. My condenser in winter when starting up can give a plume about 2 to 3 foot long and very thick. Have one of these a few foot from your flat window and you will be pissed off.

Reply to
IMM

Hi,

A lot of condensing boilers have a powered flue that give more choice as where it can go.

If the boiler is run well below condensing temps I'd expect the plume to be minimal. A boiler that can modulate it's output right down might help and be worth a reasonable premium.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Throw it away and buy a decent one.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's partly dependent on the power level as well as the temperature.

The greatest pluming will occur when starting from cold on a cold day with low humidity under full power. Generally this only lasts for a short time as the house and heating system warm up.

The design of the boiler has an influence as well, the new ones being much better.

Most now modulate anyway so also helping