Boiler efficiency arithmetic

It is hard to know, but my last delivery did come from a local supplier who I have not used before. Very prompt delivery to!

Reply to
Michael Chare

Lack of familiarity mainly, but a suspicion that if the things are so clever the service engineers

I'm afraid I do confine myself to topping up various fluids on cars nowadays, and the odd bit of tinkering with an OBD-II lead.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've scratched my head on non-condensing boilers. It's more a matter of good quality ones versus bad: condensing doesn't necessarily detract from reliability.

Anecdotal evidence? Hmmm :-|

Reply to
YAPH

There are two near me, one in new build, one retro fit.Seem to work OK. The problem you experienced was down to the cowboys, not the technology.

Reply to
harryagain

[sorry that was mid-compose, I came back to the machine and automatically hit send!]

I was going to say if they need a flue analyser to check the workings (and maybe custom software to make adjustments?) then I'll not bother.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Its often a "catch all" for new technology boiler vs old cast iron lump. Most of the complexity of a modern boiler was added long before condensing made it into the mix.

Reply to
John Rumm

There was an interesting talk at Ecobuild a couple of years ago by someone from the EST involved with monitoring a number of early (pre MCS qualification scheme) GS (and, IIRC, AS) installations. Some of them had been installed *really* badly. I think in at least one case the heating was effectively being provided by peak-rate electricity! They were aiming to improve practice to get COPs more in line with those achieved in (I think it was) Switzerland, where they get 4 or even 5.

Reply to
John Stumbles