boiler costs - rough costs / options

My 3 bed 1930's semi has the cold tanks & hot cylinder in the bathroom, hence little pressure upstairs & a dedicated cupboard for them, and a 7 year old conventional boiler in the downstairs kitchen.

I would like to have a shower put in, and the bathroom / suite is about ready for a make over.

I could just have a mixer power shower fitted & make good with tile surround etc. which may be fairly cheap, and do the bathroom later.

To free up some space I could have the tanks (new tanks) etc moved into the loft above, although my heating has a manual valve in the bathroom to turn all the radiators on, so I think I would need to have an automatic valve & tank stat. fitted as well, does this get operated by the timer controller?

Or maybe I should just have a combi fitted, freeing up the space & giving me some pressure.

Can anyone suggest which route might be better to take... or some very basic costs to move the tanks to the loft vs replacing the boiler.

Thanks DD

Reply to
dirt dibbler

The project I did recently involved taking an old (10yrs) boiler and fitting a mains pressurized HW tank to it..total cost was around £1500 by a professional plumber.

That included some upgrading of motorized valves etc, and all pipework.

If you have space in the loft, thats an ideal location for a pressurized tank.

The cost of a combi - even for a small place - was similar or higher.

And the flow rate of hot water would have been inferior.

The header tank and hot water tanks went, the new tank was fitted in a FAR more convenient location, and the old boiler equipped with a pressure vessel and pressurized to a modest 1.2 bar or so.

Showers now work extremely well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher