Boiler condensate to soakaway

Bollox.

Reply to
Jim K..

Where else could it go?

Reply to
Jim K..

A neighbour has just had a new condensing boiler fitted. What looks like the condensate drain is tapped into a rainwater downpipe, which I'm almost certain goes to a soakaway, because ours does.

Is that allowed? The neighbour wouldn't know, but he'd be keen to get it right.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

My installer told me that the stowaway is supposed to contain (IIRC) limestone in order to neutralise the condensate

Does yours?

tim

Reply to
tim...

you mean you are going to snitch on him...tee hee

why not? ... most people put it into a rainwater gully and complain when it freezes up ... mine goes to a horizontal 100m run under the suspended floor that only serves the utility room sink ....so no freezing up problems...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

The soil pipe.

Sounds like it's ok judging by the lack of 'boiler installer in shock horror probe' responses.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

No, a nice bloke and a great neighbour. But if it was a 'bad thing' I'd let him know so he could get back to the installer before it's too late.>

Sounds like it's fine then.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

The output of a condensing boiler is essentially pure water with traces of iron and bit of CO2 dissolved in it. Not much different to rain (*).

Except in rain the iron content is mostly as magnetite from meteor dust.

Martin Brown

Jim GM4DHJ ... explained on 04/07/2019 :

That's an awfully big utility room..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

According to my (WB) installation instructions a dedicated soakaway is one of the options for dealing with condensate. So presumably diluting it in an existing soakaway is fine.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

condensate is pretty much pure water Lots of people just vent to anywhere at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

'Stowaway'? Autocorrect acting up again?

Reply to
Davey

sorry don't get that ? .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Did you work out the run using extrapolation of penis length?

Reply to
Richard

no

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

that is the professional way to describe a run of pipe....a 100mm run of pipe ...is that what you meant? It is quite long as well ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

on 05/07/2019, Jim GM4DHJ ... supposed :

100m long utility room?
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

sorry 100mm run.....fecked up again didn't I ? ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Well if we get a hard penetrating frost then like the stowaway, the soakaway might freeze solid.

if the soakaway is at least 5 metres from the house then it is fine.

Plant some acid-loving shrubs in the location of the soakaway.

Reply to
Andrew

Not if he has a septic tank though.

Reply to