Boiler condensate to soakaway

A neighbour has just had a new condensing boiler fitted. What looks like the condensate drain is tapped into a rainwater downpipe, which I'm almost certain goes to a soakaway, because ours does.
Is that allowed? The neighbour wouldn't know, but he'd be keen to get it right.
Cheers
--
Clive

My installer told me that the stowaway is supposed to contain (IIRC) limestone in order to neutralise the condensate
Does yours?
tim
On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 18:49:51 +0100

'Stowaway'? Autocorrect acting up again?
--
Davey.

On 05/07/2019 00:38, Davey wrote:

Well if we get a hard penetrating frost then like the stowaway, the soakaway might freeze solid.
if the soakaway is at least 5 metres from the house then it is fine.
Plant some acid-loving shrubs in the location of the soakaway.
On 05/07/2019 12:18, Andrew wrote:

Same for the stowaway, although paving slabs may require attention...

you mean you are going to snitch on him...tee hee

why not? ... most people put it into a rainwater gully and complain when it freezes up ... mine goes to a horizontal 100m run under the suspended floor that only serves the utility room sink ....so no freezing up problems...
On 04/07/2019 19:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

No, a nice bloke and a great neighbour. But if it was a 'bad thing' I'd let him know so he could get back to the installer before it's too late.>

Sounds like it's fine then.
Cheers
--
Clive

On 04/07/2019 21:38, Clive Arthur wrote:

The output of a condensing boiler is essentially pure water with traces of iron and bit of CO2 dissolved in it. Not much different to rain (*).
Except in rain the iron content is mostly as magnetite from meteor dust.
https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/gsa/geology/article/45/2/119/195213/An-urban-collection-of-modern-day-large
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 04/07/2019 21:38, Clive Arthur wrote:

Relax, plenty of acid rain has gone into that soakaway over the years.
OTOH, if it is an old cast-iron downpipe ..... :-(
On 05/07/2019 12:20, Andrew wrote:

Just how bad a thing is this? A friend of mine has just had this sort of installation and the WB website says
"It is acceptable providing that the cast iron pipe will be regularly flushed with water from another source" otherwise "corrosion and premature failure of the cast iron pipe".
In her situation the condensate is fed to the cast iron stack of a secondary (little used) bathroom.
How often should she flush the spare bog to satisfy the requirement of "regularly flushed". After all a Preston Guild is regular.
Is failure likely in 12 days 12 months or 12 years?
--
Chris B (News)

Jim GM4DHJ ... explained on 04/07/2019 :

That's an awfully big utility room..

sorry don't get that ? .....
On 05/07/2019 07:49, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Did you work out the run using extrapolation of penis length?

no
on 05/07/2019, Jim GM4DHJ ... supposed :

100m long utility room?

sorry 100mm run.....fecked up again didn't I ? ......
On 05/07/2019 09:49, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

And no fall at all over that length ?

that is the professional way to describe a run of pipe....a 100mm run of pipe ...is that what you meant? It is quite long as well ....
On 05/07/2019 09:37, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

You mean a run of 100mm pipe then.
And the connectors for those pipes have angles of 87.5 degrees for a reason, it's to allow a lateral pipe to have the correct fall and join a vertical stack without twisting the seal in the socket.
On 04/07/2019 18:43, Clive Arthur wrote:

condensate is pretty much pure water Lots of people just vent to anywhere at all.