Boards for shed roof?

Going to be building a new shed shortly.

As things stand at the moment, its going to be 2.8mtr square, but the roof is going to overhang the front by 80cm, to give me a bit of shade/shelter when working outside.

Probably going to use roofing felt to cover it, but was wondering what the best material to board it over would be? Bearing in mind the underside of the boards overhanging the front are going to be exposed.

Would OSB3 board be OK if I gave the underside a couple of coats of fence paint?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Simon T

I like using "corrugated iron" (as we used to call it). Completely weatherproof, for good. There are many different types, and different lengths available. We (me and my mate who also built a shed recently) got ours from a recycle yard (the material was new -- surplus stock).

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

Make it bigger if possible.

Reply to
Capitol

" Probably going to use roofing felt to cover it, but was wondering what the best material to board it over would be? Bearing in mind the underside of the boards overhanging the front are going to be exposed" How about fibreglass sheets? They are tough with good insular properties.

Reply to
gopalansampath

Well if you want to redo it in five years... thats for "shed roof felt". Might get a bit longer with a thicker grade. Torch on is the only felt system that has any life.

Recently did our shed with mini-onduline after having replaced the felt twice before.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I used OSB3 for covering a water butt. It's gone soft on the surface and little bits sometimes drop off but it's still sound and has been in shade and wet most of the time for nearly 20 years, so protected sheet should be OK for 'ever'. This is 18mm thick BTW. The new roof on no.1 shed is only 9mm and is, of course, protected from rain and the exposed edges are painted with shed & fence paint.

Reply to
PeterC