Boarded victorian loft weight

The plaster board sheet will also bend a surprising amount without cracking it is the joints between the sheets that come adrift.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Indeed. The previous owner had removed the remaining archway to a room that was knocked through to the lounge and the boarded loft sloped both sides towards the non-existent support. The ceiling was showing cracking. When a beam was put in I think they lift the whole thing up about 6" (3" x 2" joists).

The owner previous to that had taken out the purlin supports to make more space in the loft and the surveyor noted the roof sag. The purlins are bowed to a point that the builders were happy to provide support but not to jack back up to the original position.

I'm a hoarder and have stacks of stuff up in the loft, the heavier gear nearer the edges and I have used planks to spread load where I consider necessary. Thus far no sign of any movement but I'm conscious that a clear out would be warranted or shelving attached to the end gables.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I just used floor grade joists and boarded it over with floor grade chip.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher