Blue tooth

In my very limited experience, Dell might be the problem.

We bought a sound-bar from Enacfire to get better audio quality. This works fine with a Bluetooth connection from my Windows laptop (Lenovo) but we had many problems when using it with my wife's laptop which is from Dell. Eventually (after doing extensive research on Dell Bluetooth problems) we downloaded updates to all sorts of system software (BIOS, audio drivers, Bluetooth) and found a combination of settings in which it worked most of the time.

If your desktop is new enough to have Dell software support still working try asking them for help. Otherwise see if there are software updates available.

Reply to
Clive Page

Lots of variables though,

For your PC, is the Wifi from a separate internal card than the bluetooth?

I have a bluetooth set of 3D glasses that connects OK to a Sony TV. I have a wireless keyboard that connects to a wireless (not wifi protocol, but same band) USB dongle used on the TV.

They don't work well together with both radios active.

I'm reasoning if the bluetooth and wifi are properly integrated (like on your phone), they won't be conflicting.

Or, could be that bluetooth is generally crap. I get that.

I paid a lot of money a long time ago for a Bluetooth network card for a PDA, years before WiFi use became prevalent. Much disappointment.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

try moving wifi channel on the router

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd thought the whole point was a very restricted range? Only use it for two things. Phone to the car radio. Mouse to a laptop. Few feet at most.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

If you have a USB3 hard drive connected to a USB3 port, at the same time the computer is using Bluetooth, there can be emissions from the USB3 bits. The emissions happen to peak at 2.5GHz, the BT is at 2.4GHz.

You can run an external BT dongle off a USB2 port. That's where mine is plugged in, an add-on to a desktop computer. Because the BT Nano style is so "stubby", it helps to put it on an extension cable, to improve line-of-sight operation.

computer

USB3 USB2 | | | cable BT Nano TX | \ USB3 . hard \ drive BT_Headphone

In such a case, the RF emissions coming from the left of the diagram, can upset the low power signal from the BT on the right.

The USB3 emissions, spectrally, look like this. A broad peak at 2.5GHz, that can smother 2.4GHz communications device. This is a "data-related" emissions pattern, not a "clock spike". A clock spike, if the technology allowed it, would be about

20dB higher than this broad data-related leakage pattern. Normally, data-related leakage is far enough down, it might not require remediation to correct it (meets FCC Part 15).

Level | | -- | -- -- | -- -- +----------------- Frequency GHz 0 2.5 5.0

Intel has a white paper about this.

It's not guaranteed that every active USB3 device emits RF like that. But, the Intel paper serves as a warning that manufacturers should do quality verification work and not release junk to the market. Usually, you rent time at a third-party facility for testing. At work, we had a $4 million lab with all the necessary equipment, for verifying stuff out to 20GHz or 40GHz or so. And that facility was pretty solidly booked for testing. It was anechoic and for near field work. We had a separate facility for far field verification, which wasn't nearly as fancy. It was some distance from a company soccer field :-)

If a person having a BT problem, has the hardware configuration in the top picture, they should unplug the USB3 hard drive, then retest their BT operation.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Some miniPCI modules in laptops, have Wifi and BT on the same card. And there's some crazy scheme to multiplex the BT transmit signal onto the same RF coax as the Wifi. There's some scheme (perhaps in the MAC firmware) to preventing both from happening at the same time. So if both want to transmit, one is delayed, and the other goes first.

I've not seen pictures of any lab results, as to how well this works.

# A discussion, but with not a lot of meat on it.

If the two technologies are not coordinated like that, you use a Wifi-Only MiniPCI plus an external USB2 Nano BT, then the things will be colliding all the time anyway and the BT will just avoid the bins that the Wifi keeps tramping on.

Both BT and Wifi are supposed to be able to coexist.

And multiple BT piconets can share the same airspace (with no coordination of frequency-hop patterns needed). The more piconets you set up, the more collisions between them, with some statistical probability.

Paul

Reply to
Paul