bloody washing machine ....

feck me...that is the washing machine tripping the RCDs ....more expense....any ideas where to look? ... I have replaced the brushes a couple of times....any ideas what it might be? ......

If you've replaced the brushes a couple of times how much carbon dust is there lying around? Maybe just needs a good clean...
Tim
Wrote in message:

didn't know that could cause the RCD to trip ....I'll get the air gun and compressor out......
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 08:38:18 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."

Carbon is conductive and if enough of it (in powder form) gets between anything that is live (or neutral in some cases) and earth it can trip the RCD, especially when damp.
To test it was the case with ours we simply disconnected the motor (plug and socket on the loom) and turned it on, no trip.
Cheers, T i m
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Element?
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 18:24:36 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."

I had the same but I bought a new washing machine as the washing machine was ancient by then. I also installed RCBOs to protect the rest of the circuitry from tripping.
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 18:37:58 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Tim+

+1
Take the motor off and outside and put an airline on it. Might be best to wear a mask ...
Cheers, T i m
On 16/10/2018 18:43, T i m wrote:

The neighbours will probably guess it's him, but if he does it elsewhere +1 to the mask.
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 19:20:49 +0100, Richard

;-)
Joking aside though, I'm not sure if there would be any rules that might govern if a d-i-yer could blow something like that out into the atmosphere, without some sort of dust capture (specifically for a 'one off' etc)?
Cheers, T i m
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 18:25:49 +0100

Boron.
Andy Burns pretended :

I agree, first port of call - element. Unplug/ disconnect/ isolate the element and see if it still trips. It might not be easy to replace though, if it is that.
On 16/10/2018 18:59, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

+1. They used to be not too bad to replace.
On 16/10/2018 18:25, Andy Burns wrote:

or motor
look exactly the same afterwards."
Yes motors do not just wear the brushes, but the comutator as well. Brian
--
----- --
thanks all ....I will try all that tomorrow when I get home from the caravan ........

Unlikely to be the interlock itself but more that it then enables power to other things, like the motor. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 17:47:28 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."

Oooerr!

Agreed.

Do. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 07:09:26 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."

This is (supposed to be) a d-i-y group you know? ;-)
We were given a 13 month old Zanussi on Freecycle because it's main drum bearings had failed and they were in a sealed plastic tub (making it uneconomic to repair).
We repaired it (for little cost) and it only lasted 7 times longer than it had from the factory? ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 17:24:34 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."

Just OOI, have you tried disconnecting the motor?
Cheers, T i m

Hang on - what have you checked the resistance with? A simple multimeter most likely wont show a short at 240v.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England