Sticky pull chord switch

Bathroom fan, only a year or so old. Now have to pull gently to stretch the chord, let go so it "pings" then I can pull normally to turn off/on.

Too hard to explain to SWMBO and guests.

Any clever solutions out there?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Replace the string, if it's really that. Or replace the switch.

Reply to
GB

You might find some stuff has fallen into the back of the switch so check that out first.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

+1.

Also WD40

Reply to
newshound

;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yep a bathroom is a good place to keep ducks :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

It's probably one of these inside

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'll explore once I can turn the power off.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Sounds like a lost chord.

Reply to
Bob Eager

possibly grease dried up..try taking the cover off and using silicone spray...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thats handy to know about..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Gunge in the thing. If its actually on the fan you would be surprised how much gunk they can hoover into themselves in an ordinary house. Lets hope there are no smokers in there. However have you had it apart and had a look. There is not much in a pull switch, its normally a little escarpment thing with a spring that makes each alternate pull move it into a different position. Normally they get stuck in one place either due to wear or muck. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hmm, I'd actually tend to have a look. Its probably muck. Also any grease soon seems to dry out. I had an Akai tape deck with a push push switch. Same principle as pull switch but in reverse and it had hardened grease inside. Scraped it off and put tiny bit of lubrication on the sliding bit and it outlasted the deck. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1 (stands up proudly, but prepares to dodge any flack)
Reply to
Ian Jackson

Nice to see that meaning of "flack" being kept alive.

But do please also dodge any flak :)

Reply to
Robin