Bloody tradesmen :-)

And again to collect the book, sometimes!

Their model was that they employed just a few permanent, knowledgeable staff. The rest were students, etc. who were on low pay, and sacked every few months to make way for new ones. Christina Foyle had funny ideas.

I understand that when they tried to unionise, she refused to have the meeting on the premises, and arranged surveillance of their actual venue.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Aah yes, that takes me back.. and books piled everywhere and nobody knowing what they had or where to find it.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Very Russian, that.

Reply to
Skipweasel

The Shropshire BT phonebook arrived yesterday. I thought it was a pamphlet from the local curry shop, it was so small.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Worse if you were a publisher's sales rep. they all had to turn up at the same time (I think 11:00am) and queue outside the purchasing manager's office for your turn to make a pitch. The reason the books were sorted by publisher is that publisher's had been made to buy the shelving when the shop was refurbished, so publishers only got the shelf space they had paid for.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I was under the impression that hobs had to have a permanent connection, not a bayonet hose.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I thought that they couldn't recycle them.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Bob Eager ( snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net) wibbled on Friday 07 January 2011 15:20:

Sounds like a mad bitch on crack...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sounds more like Argos to me...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes I've officially given up on them now too... realisation finally dawned when the new one arrived recently and I took it to where the old one was kept in order to replace that: and found it still sealed in its polythene bag.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Often the publisher's rep. Things tended to get 'arranged' by publisher because often as not it was the publisher's rep who managed the stock: returning the non-sellers and ensuring best sellers were restocked.

Reply to
djc

It's not a hose, it's a rigid connection with a little tap ... my bad description.

Reply to
Jethro

es:

So hes going to throw away possibly dozens of printed forms just to give a pretty bit of paper?

Reply to
cynic

I used to find that with magazines, too, and would tear them out and leave them in the shop before buying. No such option with the YP :-(

Reply to
Jules Richardson

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Eager saying something like:

I wonder if Black Books was inspired by her...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I seem to recall that if you have not paid for an entry, then you are not in the new style YP books, which IMO makes it even less useful than it was.(which wasn't much) At least the old books were a comprehensive list of businesses.

Reply to
Vernon

Not in recent years, you had to pay for one-line for at least the last 3 years that I was in it. I paid £360ish last year for a small block ad, and got 3 phone calls from it all year - complete waste of money. I asked to reduce it to one line - just name and number, and even that would have been nearly £100. I didnt bother.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Vernon (big snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) wibbled on Saturday 08 January 2011 08:28:

Personally I find Thompson local more useful if I do need to ring around...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Does that also get you listed in the online version? Though with only three calls that you can attribute to the YP =A3100 is not economic. TBH I might use the online YP to find companies in an area but I'll then explore to their own websites linked from the YP. If I do contact a company I'll rarely mention that I found 'em via the YP, I might mention their website.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've never been in YP or Thompsons. Bloke over the road does carpet cleaning, spent =A33K on a YP ad & got bugger all from it.

Yesterdays papers...

Dave TMH

Reply to
The Medway Handyman