Blockwork/Brickwork Cost

I have been asked by my neighbour to construct a boundary wall ( the fence fell over years ago ), but I'd like to be armed with an idea of what is a reasonable price. I live in the provinces, the wall will be 3'-4' high in 4" blocks, with brick-and-a-half piers ( rather than block piers which look a bit utilitarian if you ask me ), along with some kind of textured roughcast coat. I need foundations too, the wall will be 15m long and have about 5 piers.

I'm wondering if there is a going rate for blockwork ( I heard £1/block labour charge somewhere a few years back ), and an equivalent figure for brickwork? I can cost the materials, so another way I could cost it is by multiplying the materials cost by a factor to give me labour costs: for example, I had guessed that materials are usually 40% of the cost, so labour will be the other 60%. Any ideas? Of course there is stuff like VAT and skip hire to add in but I'm looking for a rough figure.

By the way, I've 'phoned up 8 builders and had no success with getting a quote so far, so my question isn't necessarily best answered by "...get a few quotes from builders...."!

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

West of London area approx rates Lightweight blocks between £12 & £15 per sq metre (normally 10 to a metre) Fairfaced both sides probably add another £1.00 Bricks depending on the brick but say £35 to £40+ per sq metre, but this would be on larger areas some line work some corners Extra for piers as these are a lot more labour intensive

Reply to
Mike Taylor

Foundations = 15m*.3*.3 = 1.35 cubes conctere (100 quid) + skip (100 quid) + mini digger for a day (100) , whole job max 2 man days work (200), say max cost 500 quid.

Walls, 20 square meters of blocks, = 200 blocks, 2 days work, say a quid each for the bocks, sand & cement, all in 400 quid.

I'd guess a grand + VAT The foundations costing more than the walls is in my very little experince right. Labor could well be a good bit more if you live in the smoke.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Thanks Folks, My own best guess ( waves finger in air ) was £1200 +VAT so I don't think that is too far from what you have suggested. Just wanted to be able to screen out ridiculous quotes, and not have the neighbour arguing that I've hired an overly expensive builder ( he has volunteered to stump up half the money ).

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece