Blocking off a chimney

We are reworking the lounge fireplace to hold TV and audio boxes.

The plan is to block off the chimney around head height, and run the cables from the TV back into the chimney and then down to the boxen so all is nice and concealed.

However that leaves the rest of the chimney above the sealing plate.

Plan is to put some kind of cover on top of the chimney to stop birds and rain falling down it, and a ventilator to the outside above the sealing plate so that hopefully a flow of air will prevent condensation.

However there is still the possibility of e.g. a small dead bird falling down the chimney.

So should we put a bit more access into the chimney (say 2 or 3 bricks out) to allow access in case of un-located smell?

Or is this just me worrying too much?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

If you put a ventilated cap on to block the chimney top while letting it breathe, you shouldn't need any access, but a small hatch would probably be a good idea.

If you don't bird proof the top, you will get birds nesting in it, and it will quickly fill up with twigs, feathers and other detritus, which will fester nicely when it rains.

I had a house with a chimney that wasn't used regularly a while ago, and every Autumn, I got enough twigs and wool out of it to keep me in kindling for most of the Winter.

Reply to
John Williamson