Blocking a window advice please

Looking to block 2 windows, one in each upstairs bedroom. They are identical, size approx 1.2m x 1.5m.

They are in a timber-frame extension that we added around 10 years ago, so the council will have a copy of the drawings, showing that there are meant to be windows there. We are not planning to sell yet, but I am sure the buyers' solicitor will request to have a look at the paperwork once we do.

Questions:

  1. Do we require planning permission or any other paperwork for that? Both bedrooms have 2 more windows each.
  2. What would be a (very) rough estimate of the cost involved? - remove double glazed windows - Plasterboard internally + insulation - Bricks on the outside - Plaster inside + roughcast the outside. - Access is easy, and may not even require scaffolding (most can all be done from the inside and I will be happy to fill a bucket with bricks/plaster/etc to be pulled to someone standing on a ladder...).

  1. Can I assume that the best man for the job would be a handyman-type person, rather than having several people over for such a small job?

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
JoeJoe

legally yes. Most people don't do it though. The buyer will likely ask for a valueless £200 insurance policy to cover it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You may require planning; you will probably require Building Regulations approval to reduce the amount of daylight and ventilation in the rooms.

General builder - a thousand or two? You won't require full scaff but you will need an access tower or 2.

Ensure that your builder is aware you want the window removed carefully for subsequent ebaying.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Why not simply plasterboard over on the inside? You could easily make it look like they ain't there. And if and when you sell, the new owner would have the choice of leaving it as is, or reinstating. And no problems with planning.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good point.

Reply to
Capitol

Haven't thought about that!

So just plasterboard and fill the void with insulation? What about condensation?

Reply to
JoeJoe

if the window's not fully airtight it'll get gradual ventilation. Use foil lined insulation (on the warm side!) to block water vapour.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A couple of our kitchen windows were plaster boarded over when we moved in. We thought of reinstating them, but we preferred top have the extra wall cupboards. Never been an issue about condensation. I guess the plasterboard just soaks up any moisture, and it gets transmitted through to the kitchen. It's all single glazed, btw.

Reply to
GB

I'd first clean the window inside and paint it with black emulsion. Easy enough to scrape off afterwards if needed. Don't think condensation will be a problem - unless it was before. The plasterboard and insulation will mean the window is about the same temperature on both sides.

The black paint will make it look good from the outside. Seeing insulation etc through it decidedly naff. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd make some sort of shutters that could be almost permanently left closed. On the outside or inside depending on the reason for blocking. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

As said by Dave, black the windows from the inside.

Leave the window shutters open to allow an element of ventilation.

Ensure there is a small gap between window and insulation, use batons to stand off the insulation.

Use foil backed plasterboard. There must be an efficient vapour barrier to stop warm moist air from the room from escaping into the window cavity.

You shouldn't see any condensation.

Reply to
Fredxxx

would look odd. A curtain might be better.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's a recipe for trapping moisture between window and plasterboard - resulting in mildew and fungus build-up, which you can't get at to remedy without removing the plasterboard. You'll know it's there when the plasterboard turns black! I've seen one or two nasty examples of that - admittedly with poorly sealed single glazing, but plasterboard behind double glazing could well suffer the same fate.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It doesn't. I know because I've done it. Especially on an upstairs window where you'll not get close to it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The problem may be worse if you are in a conservation zone though.Might one ask why these need to be blocked, Perhaps just something temporary could be done on the inside which could be removed by any buyer later on. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Just to clarify:

we never really wanted those windows in the first place. The council forced us to have two HUGE windows in each bedroom as a condition for the PP being granted. That was the order of the day at the time by these idiots - our neighbours on either side that had a similar extension done

3 years later were not required to do that... Then our architect made a heroic effort and managed to persuade us, against our better judgement, that the one extra window in each room was a must (his words). Needles to say that neither of the extra windows HAVE EVER been opened, and in fact the curtains have only ever being drawn to wipe the dust off the windows sills every few months...

They do, however, seriously limit the layout options, so unless very expensive, we would rather make do without them all together.

Mentioned the suggestion about partial blocking to The Boss, and she is having non of it and wants it done properly (her words)...

So, back to my original questions please:

- Do I need any permission from the council, and;

- rough estimate of cost

Thanks again.

Reply to
JoeJoe

If the council insisted on them in the first place, they're unlikely to allow them to be removed later, I'd say. But you can always ask them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't know if the top windows on this building were ever glazed or always blind but very few people notice they are just painted if the reaction of friends and colleagues when it was pointed out to them is anything to go by.

The fifth window along shows a bit of humour by a painter who did the job a few decades ago and subsequent repaints have retained what he did. A partially opened window with a painted paint tin and brush on the sill.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Very likely if you were required to have them in the first place.

and;

Reply to
Alexis

'Visit' the planning department with photographs and ask for an informal opinion. You won't get an informed opinion here because none of us know the context or why they were insisted upon in the first place.

£1,000 - my guess
Reply to
Peter Johnson