Blind fixings for sheet material (in a car), where to buy or alternatives

I need some fixings for some plastic covers on my (oldish) Citroen. I think the existing ones have simply been removed and not replaced rather than having fallen out.

The problem is I can't find anywhere that sells anything like them or a sensible alternative.

The fasteners go through an 8mm (approx) hole in the sheet being fixed and push into a 6mm hole in the material underneath. The hole is totally blind with no access to the other side at all. The existing 'correct' fasteners are simply screw shaped lumps of nylon with a big flat head and a ribbed body that is a tight fit in the 6mm hole.

Can anyone suggest where I can buy something like this or possible alternatives. None of my range of cavity fixings really works, they expect a plasterboard thickness to get a grip. I suppose toggle bolts

*might* work but really need a bigger hole than 6mm. I could possible tap the hole but the material isn't really thick enough for that.

My 'bike has neat little push fixings for blind holes where you push the middle to expand it behind the hole, the ones I have are much smaller than 6mm though.

So, any ideas folks?

Reply to
tinnews

A cursory Google finds lots of places (ebay included). Start here, perhaps:

Bob Eager

Do they need to be removed frequently or are semi permanent?

a selection - but dunno if they sell small quantities.

Have you tried a Citroen dealer?

My BMW uses fixings which are similar to the ones you describe for your bike but larger. Most dealers keep them since they break easily if you just lever them out. Think 6mm is a standard size for this sort of thing.

Other place that may have what you want is:-

And they send you a free cat with every order. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As already suggested, try a Citroen dealer. I have bought similar things for my Peugeot from the local dealer and as Citroen are the same company I see no reason why the same should not be true.

Reply to
Keith W

search terms.

Reply to
tinnews

Semi-permanent, removal by destruction is acceptable.

The picture there of "Screw on rivet." shows three different sorts of fixing all, apparently, ordered as the same item! Any one of them would be fine for what I want though, so thank you.

Reply to
tinnews

In their defence, the prices reflect the fact they have a huge range of slow moving items. Consider how much you like to earn in a day and then relate that to selling such items to make a living with a lot of stock tied up.

Reply to
John

If they've got what you want, and no-one else has, they can charge what they like. That's how it works.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No - it's a picture of the whole thing and of the two component parts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not much point in selling the common stuff then?

For things like pre-insulated terminals they charge 7.94 for 100 red butt crimps. TLC 3.00. Both plus VAT. And TLC are rarely the cheapest.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But they seem to apply the same mark up to common stuff too. It's different getting charged a quid for two nuts or whatever in B&Q or Maplin

- you're paying for the premises and convenience.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So it does! I hadn't looked hard enough. :-)

Reply to
tinnews