Black fence paint

I know it sounds a bit morbid, but I want a black fence. I had one in my previous house, and the plants looked fantastic against it.
I have about 20 metres to 'paint', and so far all I can find is Garden Shades in 2.5 litre pots, at about 15.
Anyone know of a more cost-effective alternative?
I know it sounds a bit morbid, but I want a black fence. I had one in my previous house, and the plants looked fantastic against it.
I have about 20 metres to 'paint', and so far all I can find is Garden Shades in 2.5 litre pots, at about 15.
Anyone know of a more cost-effective alternative?
Simple black emulsion paint, then a coat of a good quality varnish to seal it in.

You could always coat it in old engine oil. Very cheap, very protective, and very black!!! (Just don't lean up against it!)
Kev
Surely oil would stink?!
I have also thought about using a spray gun, I think it would require less paint, and certainly less time. Has anyone tried them outside?

Yes, outdoor fence painting is particularly suited to spray application. Ensure you dilute the paint as directed.
Christian.

Actually it doesn't. I know my posting was partly 'tongue in cheek' but going back a few years this was a fairly common practice. The old engine oil was a cheap and less smelly alternative to creosote. The only downside was the black colour, but as that is what you actually want.......................... !!
Kev

Years ago people used to mix it with creosote
downsides :- carcenogenic mixed with creosote it rubs off onto clothes hands etc used neat it would never dry its got to smell, open your filler cap on your engine and take a whif (after 6000 miles)
upsides :- errr
Regards Jeff
So perhaps just buy the Garden Shades stuff and spray it?
Jeff wrote:

I agree with that, it stinks for evermore, and rubs off on things. The only way to deal with it is to rip the fence down, and get rid of it. Might be OK if far enough away from people to not matter. In your garden, don't. Use creosote instead (well, the version you can buy now, anyway, which is still better than other stuff).

Hi,
Also it has detergents in so much of it'll wash off into the soil.
cheers, Pete.

Not personally, but my neighbour did. The result was that other neighbours had droplets on their windows, cars, foliage, paving stones etc.
Seems there is no easy solution then - just patience. Wont be done for the BBQ in 2 weeks time for sure!