Black and Decker Workmate - still with dangerously sharp edges?

I've got one of the early heavy ones with the step, wouldn't be without it. Hangs on the wall and has done for the last 40 years or so. Made a simple wooden bracket which the workmate plywood top slots into and it has never moved.

Reply to
John Miller

I also have one of the early ones and was surprised a few years back that I could get some spares for it on Ebay (plastic clips that held the bottom legs in the open position and a long spring that retracted the lever that allowed the workmate to open up). I did have to order two packs of the plastic clips as I cracked one when drifting back the metal pin that held it in place.

Reply to
alan_m

Mine has metal clips, so it's probably older

Reply to
charles

Haven't looked at recent ones, but the quality of the jaws/vice rapidly dropped as the product was revised.

My dad has the original cast ally one.

I have one of the early pressed steel ones, still good.

My brother has a newer pressed steel one (albeit quite old now)- jaws made of ply with the strength of bolsawood.

That reminds me, lost one of the intermediate rubber feet from mine, which I need to find a replacement.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

At last count, I have 4 of various vintages. One actually purchased, the remainder from skip diving or gifts from retiring carpenters.

Reply to
Tim Lamb