Biological drain cleaner.

Adam Funk coughed up some electrons that declared:

Best lay of the Slashdot for a while...

;->

Reply to
Tim S

Be aware it can take a long time. Caustic soda is a strong alkali and CO2 forms a very weak acid. For example, soap made using caustic soda takes several weeks to absorb sufficient CO2 from the atmosphere to make it usable.

Reply to
Steve Firth

*New* alien lizard overlord? Is Gordon McPrudent no longer in charge, then?

Owain

Reply to
Owain
[about caustic soda]

I wasn't going to exhale on it and then stick my hands in. ;-) The point CO2 thing was (I understood) just for the ecological perspective.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Here's my evaluation.

Putting the biological stuff in the drain overnight once in a while works for keeping the shower drain from getting slow, but I don't know how long it would take to clear a *blocked* drain.

Advantage over caustic soda: safety. I got a bit on my hands with no problem, whereas I'd use rubber gloves and goggles to handle caustic soda, and I'd be concerned about other people in the house coming in contact with it until it the area around the plughole had been rinsed thoroughly.

Disadvantage: price. (Caustic soda is a lot cheaper.)

Reply to
Adam Funk