Bile Amplifier

Me too, it was a Motorola 5 push-button and worked a treat. I think the transistor was an 0C26.

I sold it on eBay for 30 quid a few years ago to a bloke who had an old Hillman Minx he was restoring.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

I was looking in the bay of the flea for phono pre amps And came across a 2 valve or amp.

It didn?t say if the valves were included for £19.99, it did say the PSU wasn?t.

It also said......

?The correct boot sequence is:Open the gallbladder front stage first, and then open the power amplifier connected to the front of the bile duct.

Please note: This machine is a bile level, not a power amplifier, does not have the power amplifier function. Need to connect the power amplifier or active multimedia speakers before the bile level. The tube is fragile, the installation of electronic tube, please try to slow vertical tube plug, avoid tube holes around the aluminum shell, prevent tube cracks or leaks. ?

I think I?ll go elsewhere 11::^*>>)) (or mor likely nowhere, I was only window shopping).

Reply to
cpvh

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@o2.co.uk writes

In my search for an electric cooker, I seem to have triggered an email from ebay offering a suitable one from a Walsall company. But the advert says

"This item is new, however may come with some cosmetic damage and without original packaging, this item may have also been water tested to ensure the product is fully functional."

Reply to
Bill

A valve is a stupid device for a phono pre-amp anyway. Maybe OK in the days of crystal pickups where you need a high impedance input, and transistors couldn't easily do that. Totally pointless today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most of these Chinese valved amps do not use the valve for amplification. Most cases it's used as a cathode follower with a gain of

  1. I have a headphone amp that uses 2 valves (it was a present). The actual gain and headphone driver is a pair of high performance op-amps. The valves are essentially cosmetic.
Reply to
mm0fmf

This particular amplifier seems to be functioning as I sense yours rising.

Reply to
Richard

As I say Dave, I was only tyre kicking. In the unlikely event I get one, I?ll go All Transistor (as it used to say on the tuning dial of some 60s / 70s Radiomobiles - I did like that model!).

Reply to
cpvh

Yes beware using medical translators for electronic goods instructions. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So it was in one of the vans that got stuck in a flood then, and towed out by a local farmer and his tractor. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There are a lot of low level microphone amps using valves around. There are merits in them for impedance and low noise under certain conditions, but it does seem a lot of people are jumping on bandwagons. I do think the instructions presented need to be framed and preserved for their wonderful hybrid of medical and electronic mental imagery. I wonder if they make biological amplifiers or maybe its a side line to their heart pacemaker business. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I once had a car radio that proudly proclaimed 'transistor'. But it was a valve radio. It just had one transistor.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I wonder what the instructions were *supposed* to say. I can't think of anything relating to amplifiers that could be wrongly translated as "bile". Having got fixated on "bile" I suppose it is a short step from there to "Open the gallbladder front stage first, and then open the power amplifier connected to the front of the bile duct."

Since they say that the amplifier is not a power one, then what is the alternative? "Line level" perhaps. And for inputs, levels are usually described as microphone level (low or high impedance) or line level. How do you get "bile" from any of that? Intriguing.

I wonder whether they sanity-checked their translation by converting it back to their own language (Chinese) to see if it makes sense. If it does, the translation is probably good; if it doesn't, the fault could be either in the Chinese-English translation or the English-Chinese back-translation, so you need to check which is wrong.

Reply to
NY

Took me more than a few minutes to realise the rug terminal on my hifi arm was in fact sorta like the earth mat under a transmitter tower...

Well looking again its is fairly clear that what it should read is :

?The correct power on sequence is: Switch on the premamplifier first, and then the power amplifier connected to the output of the preamplifier.

Please note: This machine is a signal level, not a power amplifier and does not have the power amplifier function. You will need to connect the power amplifier or active multimedia speakers to the oputput of the preamplifier.

The valve is fragile, so when installing it please align carefully and avoid too much force and ensure you align teh pins to prevent tube cracks or leaks. ? How or why gall bladders which are cinnected to bile ducts becime premaplifuers and low signals is another matter.

No doubt the chinese are similarly mystified by loudspakers containing dogs and canaries...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah - right. Truly audiophile, then. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I started working in broadcast, all the amps were valve. But the mic amps had a transformer on the input. As most decent mics are low impedance. And balanced.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Likely low voltage valves for the RF stages, and the transistor for the audio output. Avoid having to generate HT for the power output.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is that "audiophile" or "audioBILE"? ;-)

Reply to
NY

Yep, standard setup at one point. Class A single tr output stage, yet it never got noticeably warm. So not overly powerful :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Car radios often claim outputs that defy physics. ;-) But those single ended outputs were often sweeter sounding than early push pull.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)