Beware compostable pedal-bin liners

you don;t realyl need to know do you. All you need to know is what you can or can;t put in them and what bin yuo should put them in when full.

If they are classed as compostable then they are made form food stuffs.

Bread wrapper bags are apparently not recclable and similar in non recyclability as the black platic microwave trays. Which I find odd surely a bread bag can be made recyclable.

I do wonder whether the paper they use in my chippie is recyclable or not. But I won't worry too much as I've only been there twice so far this year.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Just in the same way you now have to 'op in' to get your green waste collected for £35/pa.

£35 per bin - not simply £35.
Reply to
charles

As the bag was only about one third full, I don't think a smaller bin would have made any difference. And no, at only one third full, it hadn't got to the minging state!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Really? Are you sure? In Cornwall, we pay £18.05 to 'buy' a 240 litre bin from the council, and £38.75 to have it emptied once per fortnight for a year, or £72.50 if you pay for two years, both on-line.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes they seem to be based on some by product from potatoes. Even the council has stopped supplying them and suggests using ordinary liners then tip them into a compost just before you transfer it to the bin collected by them. Seems they have been caught by their own over efficient solution!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm quite sure - I pay the bill - but we didn't have to buy the bin. We, too, get a fortnightly collection, except over Christmas & new Year so only

25 collections per year.
Reply to
charles

OK, I misread you - I thought you meant £35 each time the bin was emptied! Doh!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Our council tried that. Most people refused to pay (we bought a cheap bin and just took it for emptying ourselves every so often, when we were passing the tip anyway). People were quite angry about it too, as the same bin is used for food waste and household cut flowers, plus some animal bedding and so they still collect them each week and when the garden waste was without additional cost, they were composting the lot and selling it.

I think that it therefore brought in far less than they planned for and so they are scrapping it next week.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

None of them, the council don't want to be bothered separating them out, so you are expected to take them to the local tip where there will be a "Small appliances" section or take them to the shop that sold you the new ones - of course they may have paid the council for an opt-out and so you'll still be expected to make that trip to the tip. Even worse, most tips won't allow access as a pedestrian or cyclist, so you are barred if you cannot drive or don't own a car.

Lots of things are not the buyer's fault. On Sunday I urgently needed a replacement lightbulb. The fitting had had a CFL in it, but all the local shops have stopped stocking the size and rating I needed. Many of the LED versions either have a plastic section that stops light through almost 180° in the direction of the screw, but as they are used horizontally, this is no good, or they have too low an output. The one suitable one that I could buy came in a very thick, protective, plastic package, that I had to cut the bulb out of. The packaging is not recyclable. The vast majority of ones that were not suitable were in carboard packaging, but not the one suitable one!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Our council still provides them, but they are much thinner and weaker than the ones they provided for the first few years - with the result that things often have to be double bagged simply to get them from the kitchen to the green bin without depositing the contents in the hallway.

They also had a nice, effective system of delivering the bags - as you got low on them, you tied one to the handle of your green bin and the bin men left a new roll when the emptied your bin. Now you have to go online and order them and a courier delivers them! How much more effort and cost is that?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I've wondered whether a simple white stripe would be sufficient to allow the system to see the item?

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Ours gets collected weekly and we put it out weekly - why let it fester in your/my kitchen for longer than necessary? We also tend to wrap the scraps in paper before putting in the liner in the food bin. Those two "strategies" means we get no collapsing bags, smells etc.

We also compost all the green waste ourselves but we are in a position to do that and subsequently use the resulting compost.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

I?m away from home at the moment looking after elderly Mother and the difference in what how and when rubbish has to placed compared to home is driving me barmy though no doubt I?ll get used it ,one way in which her council is better though is that they will collect small domestic electrical appliances and request they are left to one side of the green recycling bin on collection day. I haven?t checked on what the upper limit of small is, a nearby property put a small microwave oven out and it was collected but I would think a large TV or a washing machine would not be.possibly if one bloke can pick it up and put it on the wagon is the arbitration method used. But that is one trouble with domestic recycling and rubbish collection,the inconsistency between council policies.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Quite, but the number of the bins wasn't really the point. ;-)

eg, To even (start) to get your green waste collected *now* (round here) is £35/pa, whereas previously it was free.

FWIW, 'Most people' (round here) only have one green bin, if they have one at all (now [1]).

Cheers, T i m

[1] We still have one but no longer pay for it and would like it taken away. ;-)
Reply to
T i m
<snip>

;-)

TBC, £35pa for each green bin you want collected.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Nice way to refer to your mum. Perhaps it's just her way of saying STFU, T i m.

Reply to
Richard

Make a cuppa and read this:

Richard

In message <qcphnt$211$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Steve Walker snipped-for-privacy@walker-family.me.uk> writes

I'm sure these systems work well enough in larger towns but here (Aberdeenshire) our 'local' tip is a round trip of 50 miles, which rather defeats saving the planet unless one stores that sort of rubbish for many months (years?), until there is enough to justify the trip.

Again, because of geography, most such purchases are likely to be mail order. Amazon, eBay, wherever.

Balancing convenience, cost and saving the planet is difficult. Today, I am expecting two small parcels, one a pair of paste board hinges and the other, a small roll of Fablon. Buying either from a shop would involve a round trip of 90+ miles, yet buying by post incurs additional cost and packaging whilst saving me fuel and car running costs. Which is cheaper for me? Which is most convenient? Which is best for the planet?

Reply to
Graeme

An increasing proportion of my periodicals are arriving in compostable wrappers. They suggest that they may be placed in the garden waste bin.

I checked with my council, but they replied

"Unfortunately this cannot go into our garden wastes bin. What the producers of your magazine possible have not told you is that if this goes to an open windrow facility, which is what we use, it could end up being windblown around the site and become litter. The information provided is applicable to what is called in-vessel composting, which we do not use."

I guess few others will actually check, so they are going to get lots of contamination in their waste.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Sounds like it is a handling rather than a materials issue that is the problem in that case. It may be a PITA for them but until councils and their contractors accept that for recycling or responsible handling of waste is made as simple as possible at the householder end then even well intentioned people will lose interest and not bother.

GH

Reply to
Marland