Best Rated threads in UK Do-It-Yourself Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Non-return valves
I am trying to sort out my badly installed woodburner with back boiler plumbed incorrectly. Fitting a Dunsley Baker Neutraliser would be very difficult, and as an alternative I am exploring the use of...
19
19

Matching mortar
Hello, I need to do some re-pointing, the sand used in the existing mortar has tiny stones in it so I assume it is sharp sand. But would this be only sharp sand or could it be a mixture of sharp and...
11
11

DPC covered by mortar
Hello, The DPC in the outer wall of my cavity wall house is about three courses up but is only visible in a few places, elsewhere it is hidden by mortar and looks as though it was initally built this...
4
4

Do rainwater downpipes have to be perfectly vertical
I recently did some repointing on my house (built around 1900), some of which was behind a rainwater downpipe. The pipe brackets were fixed to the wall using bits of wood wedged between the bricks and...
8
8

towel rad - leaking from bottom valve tail fixing
Hi All, The instructions with this towel rad merely said use PTFE tape around the tread of the value tail when screwing this into the rad. But I can't stop it leaking (slow drip) - it purely replies...
18
18

extractor cooker hood with blown bulb
Hello We have a cooker hood (proline con 60) with 2 lights and extractor fan. One bulb blew and after the replacing the plug fuse only the extactor fan now works. Neither light does even with new...
4
4

duratool - any good? or just usual cheapo via CPC?
K http://planet.farnell.com/email/cpc/WebOffers/June14.htmJim
1
1

sticking 5 lever sash locks
I have a set of 4 sash locks on various external doors. They are 30 years old and it's often a struggle to get the key to turn. If I had to get out in an emergency this could be a problem. They do...
9
9

O/T 1200 or 1400 spin washing machine?
Hi all, Another washing machine question! After a recent post and deciding top get a washing machine not a washer/drier I have now been told by my family that a 1400 spin washer is nosier and wears...
40
40

Test equipment to identify cause of RCD trips: Update
An update to my search for the elusive cause of the intermittant RCD trips that I posted about in March. I bought a cheap megger off eBay for just under GBP 30. It's a Smart Sensor Insulation Tester...
5
5

Hardened Danish Oil
Is there anything I can add to a large tin of Danish Oil which has gone hard (presumably the solvent has evaporated)?
1
1

Blown Lath & Plaster - Repair or replace?
I stripped the wallpaper from a bedroom last night to find the plaster was rather more 'blown' than expected. The house was build in about 1870. The affected walls are lath-and-plaster. Laths have a...
10
10

Using Ronseal High Performance Wood Filler
Am repairing window frames and sills where they have gone rotten with the above excellent product (having already given it a good coat of the Ronseal Wood Hardener) and need some tips on how to work...
27
27

extractor fan rubber mounting kits
Hi, I have read here about using some sort of rubber mounting when you fit an extractor fan, so that the vibration of the fan doesn't shake the wall/ceiling it is mounted on, transferring the noise....
10
10

Float valves which are OK if submerged
I'm after a float valve of some sort which will not get damaged if it is completely submerged. I want to have a tank which is mostly filled from local sources of water but, if the local sources dry...
8
8

Fitting kitchen whilst concrete floor still drying.
We have had a new concrete floor fitted in our kitchen / dining area the last layer of which was laid a couple of weeks ago. It is made up of approx. 200mm slab 100mm insulation and 75mm screed. This,...
7
7

Shower pump problem; fuse blowing
3 bar twin impeller positive head pump gets stuck after no use for a month or so causing the 5 amp fuse to blow. Removing the impeller cover from one end and turning the impeller (with fingers, so...
4
4

Main Earth bonding to lead gas pipe.
OK, faffed about now running my earth bonding cable from the gas meter in the cellar to the CU elsewhere. Just need to finish the connections. The connection to the gas meter is with lead pipe,...
4
4

Joist spacing for flat roof
Clear span front to back of the shed is 3m 300mm. Looking at I see that 50 * 195 is in spec. for both 400mm and 600mm spacing. So any reason not to go for the 600mm spacing? TIA Dave R
13
13

Removing cyanoacrylate bloom
An idiot subcontractor decided that instead of using the glue we supplied, it would be quicker to use cyanoacrylate to fix an internal part on a 1 metre long x 40mm dia custom polycarb LED fixture...
12
12