Best way to strip long lengths of mains cable?

On Monday, 13 March 2017 14:45:29 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

QA!!!! I just don't see the point.

Is anyone who chooses to ignore PP seriously going to worry about cable colours?
--
*Modulation in all things *

Dave Plowman wrote:

I think the theory goes that old colours makes it look like it was done decades ago, hence before part P applied.
All of which ignores the fact that even the original part P didn't prevent that much, the new weakened version allows even more, the dates for wire colour changes overlapped with part P starting and nobody cares about part P anyway.

Quite.
I also wonder how many people when buying a 'new' house, pay for a survey that would show if the 'wrong' colour cables had been used anywhere anyway.
Very few make any attempt to conceal a wiring addition anyway. Most stand out rather obviously. Different type of fittings, etc. So the wire colour irrelevant.
--
*Indian Driver - Smoke signals only*

The point is that old cable colours add plausibility to deniability.
--

Roger Hayter

Just who are you 'denying' to?
A cable got damaged and was replaced like for like. Except being new, used the new colours. Even PP didn't outlaw that.
--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

That's an answer to a question that wouldn't be asked if the cable was in the old colours. In any case, I'm not supporting the idea, just explaining the logic of it.
--

Roger Hayter

Given flex colours had been harmonised across much of the world, was there any sense using the old ones for house wiring?

It's the logic side I was asking about. ;-)
--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance.

Graeme wrote:

It is possible to do it with a knife, I sharpen the blade in a special way with a slight curve,here is a very rough drawing, the curve is nowhere as pronounced as the drawing shows but may give you the idea, the actual cutting edge rides just above the copper so it does not dig in, I have been doing this successfully for years, takes a bit of practice.
http://imgur.com/a/81oNM
On 13/03/2017 09:52, Graeme wrote:

For the individual cores, strip a couple of inches off one end and clamp that in something. Then using a Stanley knife or similar, position the blade on the underside of a bit of the exposed copper such that its facing you and just glancing off the wire. Position a thumb lightly on top of the wire and a bit ahead of the blade. Now pull / wall backwards. You should find it easy to slice the side off the insulation using the wire as a guide. Get the angle right and you won't knick the blade.
--
Cheers,

John.
Acetone? Get a team of rats?
Could one ask why one wants to strip it, it would seem more sensible to buy ordinary cable. If its for ham radio aerials the RF won't care about the insulation but you would do better with hard drawn coppy to stop it stretching. As I say a solvent can do it but that amount would not be pretty or cheap or probably fume free either. Brian
--
----- -
Brian Gaff wrote:

He probably just wants to destroy something useful for a few cents as scrap copper, in the good old days we would just burn it in a paddock somewhere.

He said he doesn't he wants the bare copper wire for some reason he didn't state.

Oh no he doesn't - hence the need to preserve as is (i.e. not burn) and not nick (weaken) the copper. I may have scrapped it as a teenager, but these days, usefulness outweighs scrap value.
When we moved into this house 15 years ago, I found lots of interesting stuff in the shed. Several 3m lengths of unused copper pipe. A large drum of unused T&E. Huge unopened box of nails. Unused lengths of kitchen worktop. Big yellow hydraulic trolley jack. Loadsa stuff.
I never cease to be amazed by the ingenuity here. Thank you. I'll report back on wire stripping, and why I want to strip it - and no, amateur radio is not involved.
--
Graeme