Best waterproof treatment for leather boots?

Was this done before or after the ironing with the iron plugged into an adaptor that went in the light socket, and were the Archers on the wireless? You didn't mention the Ovaltine.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The iron shared a socket with the fridge, IIRC.

We never listened to the Archers. The lunchtime news and the 6 O'clock news, switched on 5 minutes before to allow the valves to warm up. I remember when I was older I was allowed to go to bed to These You Have Loved on a small transistor.

Don't remember ever having Ovaltine. It was always cocoa. I remember I tried "drinking chocolate" and didn't like it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You mean you had a fridge? There's posh :-)

Nor did I. Cocoa and sugar, mixed to a paste with cold milk, then hot milk added - yummy!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

We had a fridge, but no telly or washing machine. The two spinsters downstairs had a b/w telly. I didn't know anyone with a colour telly apart from the one in the school hall.

Also no telephone. There was a public payphone just round the corner. I can remember when they changed it from taking 2ps as the bag of 2ps saved for the phone suddenly because useless. I had a rather posh toy telephone though - red, with a dial that twirled round, and it wasn't an ordinary phone, it was a *trimphone*.

And slices of apple sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We didn't have a telly until I'd passed the 'scholarship' (11+). We got one just in time for the opening of ITV up here (about 1958).

Washing machine - that was a Hotpoint thing with a gyrator and a nelectric mangle atop that could be swivelled to various positions. When it eventually died I rescued the motor to drive my homemade wood lathe.

The first fridge we had was a ginormous thing made, ISTR, by 'Harrison' - it was an absorption type rather than compressor and had to be exactly level to operate properly. The outer 'insulation' was some 4 or 5 inches thick.

We did have a telephone. A proper black bakelite one (with a drawer underneath). Dad was a seafarer and was wont to be called at short notice to join a ship in, say, South Africa in a couple of days. It also allowed him to call home via Portishead Radio.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Dave writes

AvTag was what the meteor used and IIRC AvTur was what our vintage Spitfire used.

Reply to
Bill Grey

Avtur is a turbine fuel, hence the 'tur' in its name. Surely a Spit would use petrol?

Dsve

Reply to
Dave

In message , Dave writes

Can't argue about this but I only ever came across two fuels - AvTag and AvTur and we only had Meteors and a Spitfire at Duxford in 1956.

As you say I assume the Spit would indeed use petrol in its Merlin engine.

Reply to
Bill Grey

Like 'turd'?

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The only thing that I have seen is a lot less scary than that. Our son served on HMS invicable and did 2 tours of duty in the both Gulf wars. A little later, the Navy held a families day and we went for a sail round the Isle of Whight from Portsmouth. The high light from my point of view was to see Hawk trainers flying very close to the sea below me.

At Warton I saw all sorts of aircraft flying and it was the Harrier that always impressed me the most. What with its ability to fly backwards as fast as a helicopter could do forwards, bow to the crowds etc.

The ship bound Harriers were due to fly to land base for maintainence and my wife was surprised that I did not want to whatch them take off. I knew that they would just disapeare into the horizon and I could see aircraft do that anytime. I went round the back of the tower and let everyone else get an earful of noise :-)

Reply to
Dave

Sorry for the split message, but I hit send instead of edit :-(

According to the papers, he has done it XH558 took to the air, I assume, yesterday and did an 20 minute flight. I suspect that it will be back on the ground for at least 3 months for checks to be made.

RAF told me that it stood for Must Refurbish Canberra Again. When I first started at Warton, there was a Canberra refurbishing line in the old hangars.

MRCA became a much respected weapons platform after we, on development, made improvements to it over the years. We added ALARM missiles. Air launched anti radar missiles that could loiter on a parachute and look for ground radar, only to release the chute and take out the radar, or be armed to look for a ground radar and to launch themselves after being activated. Terrain denial weapons. Bomblets that prevented anything moving over where they were dropped.

If you remember, during the last gulf war, the US blew one of our returning Tornados out of the sky with their Patriot missile system. Rumour has it that after that, every returning Tornado came back with a missile locked onto the Patriot system :-) They never had a problem after that, I wonder why?

Yes, I remember them with great affection :-)

We once had an American F15 and an F5 arrive at work. The F15 took off down the runway and lifted off and did a full (not quite sure what to call this) rotate into the sky and come back down just behind the F5 and off they went into the sunset. Bloody show off Yanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

When I was a sprog of 13 or so, the Harriers were just coming into service with the RAF. We had a bunch visit us at Conningsby. While they were there, one afternoon the whole school trogged up to the airfield and sat on the grass for an hour or so and watched them dance just for us. Up and down, hopping this way and that, over the top of each other and round about... great fun, but VERY NOISY!

Reply to
Kate XXXXXX

If you think THAT was noisy, you ought to try being around temp landing pads in clearings in the woods when they take-off and land! THAT'S noisy! (And in the 70's there wasn't that much concern with ear defenders either!)

Reply to
Gordon

Whilst cycling past the end of the runway at Heyford, I noticed 2 USAF fighters coming towards me on take-off. I should have stopped and covered my ears; instead, I tried to get past the runway. I was directly underneath when they were climbing overhead. Moral: don't try to outpace fighters!

Reply to
PeterC

Well, it was five of them, dancing up and down for an hour about 50 feet from us...

Reply to
Kate XXXXXX

mpg?

Reply to
PeterC

Don't you mean gpm?

Reply to
Gordon

Back in 1970 I don't think they cared...

Reply to
Kate XXXXXX

More like gpj!

Reply to
Kate XXXXXX

Oh, they did. Harriers have a _very_ short endurance in the low hover, because they cook in the exhaust gases.

Reply to
Andy Dingley