Best value car sound deadening

Hi peeps, what’s the best value sound deadening material for cars? Dynamat? Any other options one could use? I’ve heard of bitumen fla shing being used by some, what’s current best practice/best value? I want to reduce the sound levels of a VW camper. Ta
On 10/06/2019 09:30, Mr Sandman wrote:

I want to deaden the sound of the boy racers who come roaring up the hill at two o'clock in the morning. In summer with the bedroom windows open it's not funny.
I'd be willing to try bitumen but I suspect a shotgun would be more effective.
Nick
On 10/06/2019 09:51, Nick Odell wrote:

Caltrops
--
There’s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

From experience with felt in a camper van many years ago, the problem is that felt holds condensation.
Ours rusted out from the inside.
Maybe a VW would be better.
--
Bill

Well, my camper was Commer Van based, and we slept in it, 2 adults and 3 children. The OP was talking about a camper, and I would think condensation is something to consider in any of them.
I would think foam would be OK if thoroughly stuck on with nowhere for water to run and hide.
--
Bill

On Monday, 10 June 2019 09:30:08 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:

? Dynamat? Any other options one could use? I’ve heard of bitumen f lashing being used by some, what’s current best practice/best value ? I want to reduce the sound levels of a VW camper.

Bitumen paint is certainly cheap, only gives very limited effect though. Th en it's down to foams of various sorts. Beware of condensation though. Chuc ked out rubber flooring offcuts would work well.
NT
On 10/06/2019 09:30, Mr Sandman wrote:

I bought some stuff that was very sticky plastic on one side and lead on the other. Very heavy but also very effective.
Bill
Yeah that sounds like the stuff a chap used who did some welding for me, also called self adhesive bitumen flashing. Very heavy stuff, perfect.

There is also the stuff made for boat engines. A layer of foam, then a layer of lead (the expensive stuff) or heavy plastic (a bit cheaper).
It works well for the original purpose and worked extremely well when a built a sort o sound proofing "chimney" to silence a computer for use in a studio.
--
Bill

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 10:54:26 +0100, Bill wrote:

I was working on a vintage Jag recently. Upon removing the rear seats (which are the bench type and come out as one unit) there was some badly deteriorated rubbery foam layer for sound-reduction purposes. It had to be removed but was too fragile to survive. Rather than source a replacement, I thought I might just re-fit the bench seat, then spray a can of that expanding foam into the void where the rubber layer was. Sets pretty rigid and occupies every cubic CC of space it can find. Might even be better at noise-reduction than the original? Certainly quicker and cheaper than trying to replicate the original from sheets of rubber foam!
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

The stuff you see on production cars - mainly to stop panels ringing - is self adhesive bitumen panels. Peel and stick. A decent car paint supplier should have them. You'll also see them inside quality loudspeaker cabinets.
I had a couple of the doors on the old Rover re-skinned. The originals had these panels, the new skins not. Made the doors clang when shut. Fitting the panels changed it to a more expensive sound. Not cheap, though.
--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.

Self adhesive bitumen sounds like "Flashband", or is it thicker than that? Flashband is pretty cheap, were you being charged Russ Andrews prices?

It came from a decent local trade car paint supplier. How similar it is to flashband, I dunno. It does have small holes in it at regular intervals. It wasn't expensive as a percentage of the job - I merely thought it expensive for what it appeared to be. But not so expensive as to want me to experiment with an alternative.
--
*All generalizations are false.

Never been able to figure what the holes are for. Surely not as guides for cutting to shape?

Preventing air bubbles from being trapped under it?
--

Roger Hayter

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 14:00:13 +0100, newshound wrote:

How is this stuff supposed to deaden noise, exactly? It's intended for sealing roofs, n'est pas?
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

On 16/06/2019 16:15, Cursitor Doom wrote:

mass + damping.
samer as sand.

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.
On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 16:18:56 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ah, okay.

You just invented a highly controversial new word there, NP. ;)
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

Is that the air cooled old version? Yuck good luck if it is! Brian
--
----- --